Another economic crisis? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sonyvaio18

New

Another economic crisis?

Post by sonyvaio18 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:47 pm

I'm a 1L pessimist and I'm wondering what people would do for their job prospects if there's another economic crisis. Is there some information on this site about how job seekers successfully responded to the 2008 crisis?

Obviously, I'll try to get the best grades I can, but I feel some part of that is out of my control. I wonder how a median 1L YHS student fared in 2008?

utahraptor

Gold

Re: Another economic crisis?

Post by utahraptor » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:58 pm

lol

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:06 pm

sorry i only listen to 2L pessimists

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:13 pm

If it happens, and you are already at a top school, good grades are the best thing you can have going for you. Don't worry about other contingencies, just focus on grades.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:54 pm

OP what are you going to do if you're below median and there's a nuclear attack on NYC?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:01 pm

that's why you gotta review the books of all your SA firm offers and see which one is most likely to survive a downturn economy. everyone who was no offered or laid off in the recession didnt do their due diligence.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:08 pm

It's actually significantly improved this year. However, big law seems pretty reactionary. A horrible quarter would screw everybody, but you can't focus on what you can't control.
Last edited by AReasonableMan on Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:08 pm

i'm sorry, but someone who actually goes to HYS would not start a thread this dumb

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:22 pm

This is a pre-law school worry. For now, you do the best that you can. In this profession (God, I sound like a dick. Full disclosure, I've been practicing for all of four months. Take what I say with a grain of salt. Most of it was told to me and I'm regurgitating.), there are a lot of things over which you will have zero control. You just have to do your best, do your homework, and let the chips fall where they lie. I am not suggesting that those who were Lathamed didn't do their homework, they couldn't avoid that shitty situation. Just relax. If you really want to do this, do it. Do your best. Hopefully, things will work out.

When I was a first semester 1L waiting on grades, I asked my career counselor about summer gigs. As an avid TLS reader and non-T14 person, I was under the impression that no one in my school was getting a job unless they were the best. I asked some question about what the bottom half does. She told me not to worry about it. I cannot control this past semester. All I can do is my best going forward. I am a crazy person. That semester was fine, and everything has turned out fine...even for the vast vast majority of the bottom half of the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:25 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:i'm sorry, but someone who actually goes to HYS would not start a thread this dumb
On a full ride too. JFC OP you are a pessimist.

sonyvaio18

New

Post by sonyvaio18 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:24 am

Thanks all! sorry if it sounded like a ridiculous question. I'll just focus on what I can control

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”