Pro Bono Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lacepiece23

Silver

Pro Bono

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Just had a question for my fellow litigators working in Biglaw. Do firms let you seek out your own opportunities or do you have to only work on pro bono matters you were assigned? I'd really like to do some criminal pro bono stuff when I start practicing. Is this a pipe dream? Or do you have some control over what type of pro bono matters you work on?

Anonymous User

Re: Pro Bono

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:44 pm

At Paul Hastings, we have control over what pro bono we take. A list of available matters is sent out every dayweek. You are allowed to bring in a matter if it meets firm guidelines And if you find a partner willing to help. I don't think we can do criminal. However many firms have associations with public defenders. Google for names of firms who do.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Gold

Re: Pro Bono

Post by homestyle28 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:12 pm

You're firm is always going to have final say b/c of potential conflicts. Our PB partner will take suggestions if there's something you really want to work on, but it's no guarantee that you'll be able to do it. Pretty sure most big firms run the gamut on the kinds of PB work they do.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”