BigLaw business casual suggestions Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: BigLaw business casual suggestions

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Yeah, on some frames they look great. I'd just caution OP against assuming he has one of those frames until he tries several fits.

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:14 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:Be careful with the extra-slim fit if you don't have a naturally lean, lanky frame. I know slim fit is all the rage right now, but you can easily take it too far. There is a happy medium between billowy tarp and lycra bodysuit. I've seen many guys look like overstuffed sausages in their dress shirts. I'm not talking about fatties, either. I'm 5'11 and 170 lbs and look ridiculous in most extra-slim shirts. Basically anyone not built like a distance runner should go for slim over extra slim IMHO. At least try both on and see which looks better on your frame.
Neck size matters too. Every 0.5" up in the neck makes the chest and everything else bigger by some amount I don't remember, but like 1-2" or something

So if you're skinny-fat and don't even lift with a 14" neck your extra slim will fit way tighter than the bro that actually lifts who is the same height and weight but has a 16.5" neck

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:41 am

Allen Edmonds has a black friday sale for those looking to save $100-200

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 am

Your best bet is to make judgments based on what you see dudes rock at the office. Like others have said, business casual can be polos are some firms or more conservative at others. If you don't have enough to get you through the beginning of the summer or want to hit up sales or whatever, bonobos makes very good trousers and nordstrom trim fits are extremely innocuous/safe options.

bravos89

New

Post by bravos89 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:34 am

North wrote:My place is business casual, and I was planning to load up on JCrew Factory Washed shirts and wear them under a navy/charcoal/gray suit with no tie. This thread is making me think that's going to be too colorful. Thoughts?
I have a few JCrew Factory washed shirts and they're a little bit too casual IMO since I don't really consider them dress shirts. The texture and material of the shirt just looks different. Have seen a few people wearing those type of shirts occasionally but I definitely wouldn't make them a staple of your wardrobe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:57 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Be careful with the extra-slim fit if you don't have a naturally lean, lanky frame. I know slim fit is all the rage right now, but you can easily take it too far. There is a happy medium between billowy tarp and lycra bodysuit. I've seen many guys look like overstuffed sausages in their dress shirts. I'm not talking about fatties, either. I'm 5'11 and 170 lbs and look ridiculous in most extra-slim shirts. Basically anyone not built like a distance runner should go for slim over extra slim IMHO. At least try both on and see which looks better on your frame.
BB Extra-Slim really falls in the "slim" category. But otherwise you're exactly right.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”