Switching firms after accepting offer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Switching firms after accepting offer?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:55 pm

I accepted my summer 2L firm's offer shortly after receiving it, and as a result received a bar stipend etc. I have since clerked for more than two years and have had some major life changes (read: had a child). As a result, I am reconsidering my original firm's offer, and am thinking about trying for firms in a different part of the country. If I did get a second offer, what would be the repercussions for accepting it? Would the second firm buy me out? What is the best way of doing this, if I wanted to switch firms? How bad of an idea is this?

Cogburn87

Bronze

Re: Switching firms after accepting offer?

Post by Cogburn87 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:09 pm

Buy out? You're a fungible, at-will employee.
You almost certainly signed a contract requiring you to repay the bar stipend if you don't work at the firm for a certain period of time (probably 12 months). Other than paying that back, there would be no repercussions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:Buy out? You're a fungible, at-will employee.
You almost certainly signed a contract requiring you to repay the bar stipend if you don't work at the firm for a certain period of time (probably 12 months). Other than paying that back, there would be no repercussions.
Sorry, what I meant was whether there was any possibility of firm 2 paying back the bar stipend (or give me a bigger starting bonus) rather than me having to pay it back myself out of the clerkship bonus.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:15 pm

doubt it but can't hurt to ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:17 pm

you should probably just pay back the firm you're screwing over

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you should probably just pay back the firm you're screwing over
lol. yeah. how will they ever find a replacement attorney in this market?!

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you should probably just pay back the firm you're screwing over
LOL

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:20 pm

why was this anonymous? but I agree
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Actus Reus

Bronze

Post by Actus Reus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:12 pm

runinthefront wrote:
why was this anonymous? but I agree
you're in for a wake-up call if this is the mentality you have towards the legal profession and big law in particular.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:31 pm

I've never heard of a second firm "buying out" the first firm's bar stipend/salary advance/whatever. What I (and others I know in this situation) have done is just use part of the clerkship bonus from the new firm to pay back the first firm's advances. To be clear, though, I then had my new firm cut me a check for my bar expenses, etc., so ultimately I ended up even financially.

As others said, there are no other repercussions. Firms know that a certain number of summer associates that clerk will not be coming back, even if they accepted offers at the end of their summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:19 pm

different, financially-strapped anon jumping aboard to ask if anyone has had the experience of a firm not seeking the bar stipend repayment from a clerk? i would like to take a fedgov position but no way am i just chucking back $15k to the firm on the paltry first-year bigfed salary. does anyone have experience with how aggressively and over what timeframe firm's pursue that money?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I was in a somewhat different situation in that I did not clerk, but I accepted an offer at Firm A, and they paid my bar expenses. After the bar exam, I accepted an offer at Firm B with a sign-on bonus intended to cover bar expenses. I wrote Firm A a check and took the money from Firm B when I started. I don't see any other way to do it, really.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:53 pm

I did this and firm 2 paid off firm 1's bar stipend. Not sure if that is typical or not. I went from NYC V10 to regional office of biglaw firm, fwiw

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was in a somewhat different situation in that I did not clerk, but I accepted an offer at Firm A, and they paid my bar expenses. After the bar exam, I accepted an offer at Firm B with a sign-on bonus intended to cover bar expenses. I wrote Firm A a check and took the money from Firm B when I started. I don't see any other way to do it, really.
Can you provide any details as to how you pulled this off, specifically applying to Firm B?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:18 pm

I held my summer firm's offer open when clerking, and I actually fronted the costs rather than take their bar stipend since I was planning to look elsewhere. (This of course placed them on notice that I was going to look elsewhere.) Then, when I got the offer from new firm, they just gave me a lump sum payment intended to cover previously incurred bar costs. Had I actually taken money from summer firm, I'd have used these funds to write them a reimbursement check.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”