Wall Street firms in SV Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wall Street firms in SV

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:58 pm

What work do top Wall Street law firms do in SV to support their high RPL and PPP? What type of work can support S&C's PPP of around $4m and Davis Polk/Skadden's PPP of around $3m?

Anonymous User

Re: Wall Street firms in SV

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What work do top Wall Street law firms do in SV to support their high RPL and PPP? What type of work can support S&C's PPP of around $4m and Davis Polk/Skadden's PPP of around $3m?
Look at the M&A work Weil has done in the SV in the last couple years. They're carrying the firm from out there-- because from what I could tell they weren't really doing that great M&A in the city.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Same shit they do in NYC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:30 pm

So their work in SV is different from that of Cooley, Wilson Sonsini, etc.?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So their work in SV is different from that of Cooley, Wilson Sonsini, etc.?
Yeah they're typically representing large institutions, like large public companies, PE funds, big banks, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GOATlawman

Bronze

Post by GOATlawman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:13 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So their work in SV is different from that of Cooley, Wilson Sonsini, etc.?
Yeah they're typically representing large institutions, like large public companies, PE funds, big banks, etc.
I'm curious who you/OP are talking about?

I thought everyone like this was in SF..everyone i ever looked at in SV definitely had a VC/startup/tech/IP slant to it, even the big NY firms (Davis Polk, Weil...) Or they at least pitch themselves this way

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 am

GOATlawman wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I thought everyone like this was in SF..everyone i ever looked at in SV definitely had a VC/startup/tech/IP slant to it, even the big NY firms (Davis Polk, Weil...) Or they at least pitch themselves this way
Well having a tech/IP slant is totally consistent with what TS is saying. They do a lot of the M&A work for the Apples, Facebooks, Amazons of the world, whereas the WSGRs represent the target companies.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:24 am

There is more of a tech focus because there are so many of those companies out there, but I don't know of any startups that can afford DPW's rates. SV firms I'm talking about include S&C, Skadden, Simpson, Latham, Kirkland etc. There are some huge PE firms out there too that do a lot of big deals and are typically represented by the usual suspects like Kirkland and Simpson.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:42 am

GOATlawman wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

The big NY firms don't really pitch themselves like this (with the exception of Weil, and Latham, if you want to consider that a NY firm). When I was interviewing, most of the NY firms actually expressed pride in doing different work than the native firms, and admitted that they don't usually compete with the native firms for VC/startup work because the fees doing that type of work are too low for them.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Well having a tech/IP slant is totally consistent with what TS is saying. They do a lot of the M&A work for the Apples, Facebooks, Amazons of the world, whereas the WSGRs represent the target companies.
nope

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”