Working in NY firm; want to live in CA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working in NY firm; want to live in CA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:22 am

I'll be a SA in NYC at a v5 firm this summer. I struck out in CA for SA positions, but ultimately want to end up there (born and raised, went to UG in CA). Is it possible to be a SA in NYC and then receive an offer in CA? Has anyone done this? Or do you have to wait it out to make the move?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

transferror

Silver

Re: Working in NY firm; want to live in CA

Post by transferror » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:25 am

Possible at a V5, but almost def out at V6

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:27 am

transferror wrote:Possible at a V5, but almost def out at V6

yeah, maybe a few years ago things were different, but ite transferror is right

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:59 am

OP here. I mistyped. It's a v5.

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Me two, possible at V4

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Manhattan

New

Post by Manhattan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 pm

transferror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
transferror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be a SA in NYC at a v5 firm this summer. I struck out in CA for SA positions, but ultimately want to end up there (born and raised, went to UG in CA). Is it possible to be a SA in NYC and then receive an offer in CA? Has anyone done this? Or do you have to wait it out to make the move?
Possible at a V5, but almost def out at V6
Me two, possible at V4
:lol:

This thread has delivered.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:43 pm

Skadden seems to be pretty flexible in letting its SAs move around from what I've seen, so if that's your firm, you might have a chance. I'd be surprised if S&C or DPW let you, however, especially since their offices are fewer in number and smaller in size in CA. I think they have the numbers worked out pretty well.

Just ask to work in the CA office when your firm sends its questionnaire and request as much time as possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Get your grades up and gun for CA next summer through 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Get your grades up and gun for CA next summer through 3L OCI.
If you got V5, your grades are more than sufficient for the top CA firms (unless we are talking about that one V5). If you stuck out in CA, You reason for wanting to be in CA probably was not compelling enough (born & raised there is often not sufficient, you need to like the type of legal work in CA too). Also, after working at a V5 for a couple of years, you would likely have your pick of top CA firms as a lateral.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbiresq

Bronze

Post by jbiresq » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Get your grades up and gun for CA next summer through 3L OCI.
If you got V5, your grades are more than sufficient for the top CA firms (unless we are talking about that one V5). If you stuck out in CA, You reason for wanting to be in CA probably was not compelling enough (born & raised there is often not sufficient, you need to like the type of legal work in CA too). Also, after working at a V5 for a couple of years, you would likely have your pick of top CA firms as a lateral.
http://www.examiner.com/article/no-waiv ... california

Might have to take CA bar though.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:12 pm

I worked at an NYC firm and then switched to a CA firm during 3L OCI. Keep your grades up.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That's so dumb. The legal work is the same everywhere, ultimately. Of course things like being born, raised, and living in a state are sufficient reasons, it just depends on your interviewer. FWIW I was trying to get into a city I had 0 ties to, but I was honest and told them my SO was in the city and already had an established career and ended up with an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:29 pm

PvblivsScipio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That's so dumb. The legal work is the same everywhere, ultimately. Of course things like being born, raised, and living in a state are sufficient reasons, it just depends on your interviewer. FWIW I was trying to get into a city I had 0 ties to, but I was honest and told them my SO was in the city and already had an established career and ended up with an offer.
Emerging companies work, IP litigation, etc. are different from non-tech IPOs, regulation of financial institutions, mega-M&A, white-collar defense, etc. Skills you develop in NYC are transferable to CA, but less so the other way around.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PvblivsScipio wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Emerging companies work, IP litigation, etc. are different from non-tech IPOs, regulation of financial institutions, mega-M&A, white-collar defense, etc. Skills you develop in NYC are transferable to CA, but less so the other way around.
I disagree. How does financial institutions regulation translate to doing a Series A financing? The skills you develop in NY actually don't transfer very well to non-NY markets. The firm prestige does, though, so there's that. I worked for a NYC firm and now do emerging tech company work and can say that the corporate practice in NY was an ENTIRELY different beast.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”