Had to Stay Late: Getting Nervous Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Had to Stay Late: Getting Nervous

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 am

So I just started working at biglaw a few weeks ago. Last night at like 5pm a partner gave me some work and told me to have it ready by the next morning. I ended up having to stay past 8pm to finish it. Freaking out a bit. Is this a normal occurrence in biglaw?

P.S. I really don't mind coming in early I just hate staying late. Plus a lack of control over mu schedule gets me nervous.

mephistopheles

Gold

Re: Had to Stay Late: Getting Nervous

Post by mephistopheles » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:54 am

:lol:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 am

mephistopheles wrote::lol:
OP here.

What is the joke? During my SA this firm was all about "having a life outside of work" and "humane hours". In fact that's why I picked them.

utahraptor

Gold

Post by utahraptor » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:07 am

This is very creative and funny.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:09 am

utahraptor wrote:This is very creative and funny.
Explain please.

-OP

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
utahraptor wrote:This is very creative and funny.
Explain please.

-OP
Just in case this isn't flame, I've billed 37 hrs in the last two days and haven't left at 8 since my first week at work. Maybe that's extreme, but it's a lot more normal than what you seem to be expecting.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here.

What is the joke? During my SA this firm was all about "having a life outside of work" and "humane hours". In fact that's why I picked them.
Every firm spews out some propaganda about work-life balance or whatever. They pay that lip service, but it is still the Big Law beast, and its nature is unchanged. You will work ridiculous hours. You will not be the one deciding those hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here.

In case this isn't a flame...

Let's say your firm requires you to bill 2200 hours per year.

If you work 50 weeks a year (two weeks vacation), that's 44 billable hours a week.

Then add in the general rule: you work three hours for every two billable hours (firm events, meetings, luncheons, non-billable work, etc.).

Now you're looking at a 66 hour work-week. Then add the fact you will be billing more hours when there's a pressing event (finishing up a merger, litigation deadline, etc.). As you've already found out, partners don't really care that you came in early if they need something by the next morning.

So on average, you're looking at six 11 hour days per week, or five 13 hour days a week.

And lastly, these are rough averages. You should read this thread, which shows how and why your hours will depend on client demands: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=208176

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Post by 911 crisis actor » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Lol @ people who are treating this thread as if it isn't flame

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here.

I assume this is a flame. All the same, That was recruiting. Now you're an associate.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:20 pm

I get the 2200 billable hours thing. My firm does not have an official billable requirement.

Edit: Not flame. I actually believe what people tell me. Especially actual associates at my firm. What incentive do they have to lie?

-OP

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 pm

OP, there's no way you've been on TLS for more than 3 minutes and don't' realize you sound completely asinine. Mods, can we just out/ban this now?
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Jesus fucking Christ. Its ridiculous that people can't post here without this type of reaction. Just answer or if you don't have anything relevant to say besides "this is phony you're an asshole" then don't respond and move the fuck on with your life.

-not OP

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jesus fucking Christ. Its ridiculous that people can't post here without this type of reaction. Just answer or if you don't have anything relevant to say besides "this is phony you're an asshole" then don't respond and move the fuck on with your life.

-not OP
I think this sentiment is sometimes warranted, but not this time. I have no idea how anyone could think, for even one second, that a 160k salary given to a know nothing 1st year associate wouldn't come with long and unpredictable hours. OR that anyone would believe that a no formal billable hour requirement meant that you'd work standard office hours.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:36 pm

But really, though, someone who's spent any amount of time on TLS being surprised that they have to stay late and have no control over their schedule in biglaw is sort of baffling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:37 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Jesus fucking Christ. Its ridiculous that people can't post here without this type of reaction. Just answer or if you don't have anything relevant to say besides "this is phony you're an asshole" then don't respond and move the fuck on with your life.

-not OP
Thanks for this. I guess I wont post anymore regarding this issue. I feel dumb that I didn't realize there was some general knowledge I am apparently lacking.

-OP

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Hey OP,

Also, there is no Santa Claus. And when you forward that chain email, Bill Gates is not going to send you a million dollars.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:41 pm

You did a summer associate stint. Did you actually talk to any associates, like at all?
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:44 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:You did a summer associate stint. Did you actually talk to any associates, like at all?
Hung out with a bunch of them at the events. They were all about work/life balance, and were obviously able to make it to most of the events. Some seemed a bit more intense but that seemed rare.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 pm

maybe if you spent less time on TLS you could get your work done by 6.

-OP's boss

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:48 pm

fats provolone wrote:maybe if you spent less time on TLS you could get your work done by 6.

-OP's boss
Lol. Good point.

-OP

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ron Don Volante

Silver

Post by Ron Don Volante » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Jesus fucking Christ. Its ridiculous that people can't post here without this type of reaction. Just answer or if you don't have anything relevant to say besides "this is phony you're an asshole" then don't respond and move the fuck on with your life.

-not OP
derp

also you can't post in this forum
Last edited by Ron Don Volante on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
flawschoolkid wrote:You did a summer associate stint. Did you actually talk to any associates, like at all?
Hung out with a bunch of them at the events. They were all about work/life balance, and were obviously able to make it to most of the events. Some seemed a bit more intense but that seemed rare.
"Work/life balance" is an unquantified statement of reality versus subjective expectations. TCR would be finding out how many hours they were billing or "accidentally" leaving something at the office so that you could come back around 7:30 or 8 pm to retrieve it and see how many associates were still chained to their desks.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My fucking sides

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:37 pm

What you've described is what happens at a firm with good work life balance.

At a firm with bad work life balance, they give you the assignment at 8 and you work until midnight.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”