No idea what I'm doing in my BigLaw job. Please advise. Thx. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No idea what I'm doing in my BigLaw job. Please advise. Thx.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:21 am

Just started at the typical NYC big corporate firm. I love the subject matter and deals and whatnot, but in terms of the daily work flow, I've quickly realized over the course of a couple of busy deals that I feel like I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. No major mistakes yet, just some omissions and things that seem pretty obvious once someone explains them to me.
TLS: Someone please tell me that it gets better, and that I won't feel like an idiot all day long every day, and that what I'm going through is normal.
Also, I apparently suck at attention-to-minute-detail stuff, like spotting extra spaces. I enjoyed writing notes on law review, but cite-checking = kill me please. So my only solution is to go painfully SLOW.
Sorry for the complain-y post. TLS has long been good to me, and it is better than bitching to co-workers IRL.

valen

Bronze

Re: No idea what I'm doing in my BigLaw job. Please advise. Thx.

Post by valen » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:58 am

I've not been in your position, but I think with all jobs (and really anything new in general), it definitely does get better. You will adjust.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 am

I'd imagine folks will be somewhat patient with the fact that you don't yet know the stuff that they now find obvious. But I think they'll be less patient if you keep screwing up the attention-to-detail stuff. So you need to figure out some way of drilling into your head that you need to check commas, bolding, justification etc in every document. Maybe making a list of all the finicky stuff you need to watch out for would help?

AGoingConcern

New

Post by AGoingConcern » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:14 am

Print things out and read them. This advice has saved me so many times.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:47 am

Anonymous User wrote: Also, I apparently suck at attention-to-minute-detail stuff, like spotting extra spaces. I enjoyed writing notes on law review, but cite-checking = kill me please. So my only solution is to go painfully SLOW.
If you haven't already, turn on punctuation symbols in Word. Extra spaces will pop right out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:58 am

AGoingConcern wrote:Print things out and read them. This advice has saved me so many times.
This. It's way more obvious when something is formatted weirdly.

ft8fc

New

Post by ft8fc » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:17 am

In MS Word, you can search for two consecutive spaces and replace them with just one space. Of course, if there are places where you want two consecutive spaces for formatting reasons, the above solution may not help. But you can pre-flag those legitimate two-space positions with a symbol like "%&$", then search-and-replace unwanted two-space; then search-and-replace "%&$."

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:26 pm

AGoingConcern wrote:Print things out and read them. This advice has saved me so many times.
This is great advice and something I adhere to religiously.

(1) Proofread on your computer.
(2) Print it out.
(3) Proofread by hand.
(4) Make changes in word.
(5) Wait an hour or so, then proofread it one more time.

On top of that, start making checklists for particular assignments, and keep a log of things you've drafted. You'll eventually get a similar assignment and your own bank of work can prove to be really helpful in a later assignment, even if they're not 100% the same.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:46 pm

ft8fc wrote:In MS Word, you can search for two consecutive spaces and replace them with just one space. Of course, if there are places where you want two consecutive spaces for formatting reasons, the above solution may not help. But you can pre-flag those legitimate two-space positions with a symbol like "%&$", then search-and-replace unwanted two-space; then search-and-replace "%&$."
^ $400/hr work

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:53 pm

fats provolone wrote:
ft8fc wrote:In MS Word, you can search for two consecutive spaces and replace them with just one space. Of course, if there are places where you want two consecutive spaces for formatting reasons, the above solution may not help. But you can pre-flag those legitimate two-space positions with a symbol like "%&$", then search-and-replace unwanted two-space; then search-and-replace "%&$."
^ $400/hr work
So much value being added though!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:39 pm

I am in constant fear that I will be discovered as an impostor. Because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. 1 month in and my colleagues seem unaware. Haven't screwed up anything too major yet. But it's only a matter of time.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:40 pm

Backwards! Not each sentence, but read the last sentence to the first sentence. It sounds really stupid, but it's a life saver for me.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:18 pm

I made about a mistake a day in my first few months. Felt like I was constantly shitting the bed. Later I started making a lot fewer mistakes. And as I got more responsibility, I began to realize the mistakes I thought I was making were profoundly unimportant.

What you want to avoid is a real mistake. You're probably not even in a position to make one yet. But, for example, in the hours leading up to filing something with the court, I focus less on typos and a lot more on not filing something with a serious misstatement.

Ultimately you'll make some real mistakes too. Part of the job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nat Sherman

New

Post by Nat Sherman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:50 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Also, I apparently suck at attention-to-minute-detail stuff, like spotting extra spaces. I enjoyed writing notes on law review, but cite-checking = kill me please. So my only solution is to go painfully SLOW.
If you haven't already, turn on punctuation symbols in Word. Extra spaces will pop right out.
Why not just hit control+f and search for two spaces?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:57 pm

Nat Sherman wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Or send it to your secretary. Wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about spaces.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:04 am

are you people billing while you hunt down extraneous spaces? jw

mmelittlechicken

Gold

Post by mmelittlechicken » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:12 am

rickgrimes69 wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:12 am

Bronte wrote:
Nat Sherman wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Or send it to your secretary. Wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about spaces.
*sends it back with more typos than before*
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:13 am

fats provolone wrote:are you people billing while you hunt down extraneous spaces? jw
lol if you aren't. Clients are the reason we do this shit. They hate typos.

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:
fats provolone wrote:are you people billing while you hunt down extraneous spaces? jw
lol if you aren't. Clients are the reason we do this shit. They hate typos.
i mean i just don't make them. i'm not combing through docs without billing. i was just curious.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Bronte wrote:Or send it to your secretary. Wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about spaces.
*sends it back with more typos than before*
Depends on the secretary I guess. Have them do it in track changes and see if they spot anything.

In any event, I lose no sleep over spaces. Have lost some sleep over, say, getting caught between two partners with conflicting instructions, but not spaces.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mmelittlechicken

Gold

Post by mmelittlechicken » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:30 am

mmelittlechicken wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:39 am

i just leave punctuation symbols on all the time. makes me feel like a typing pro

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:55 am

You can set word to give you grammar error squiggles if you don't double space after a period.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:38 am

hdunlop wrote:You can set word to give you grammar error squiggles if you don't double space after a period.
Why would you want Word to highlight doing it the right way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”