Gracefully refusing non-billable work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Gracefully refusing non-billable work?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:05 pm

My firm and practice group both require an absurd amount of mandatory nonbillable time devoted to "trainings" and "focus groups" and such that do not count toward any sort of billable target, not even after hitting a certain number of billable hours. In addition to these mandatory commitments, I (in particular) seem to have a target on my back and keep getting pulled on board for more and more non-mandatory, nonbillable projects. It's not even in areas I have asked about or expressed any interest in - I just get random emails adding me to these projects because they need someone. Does anyone have insights on how I can gracefully refuse without getting fired or landing myself on a shit list? It's stressful enough hitting my billable targets without having to push off real work for nonbillable bullshit.

FWIW, I am not looking to stay in this job for any longer than I have to, but would like to make it at least two full years without getting fired (24 months, not 2 "class years" counting the stub year). I am currently just over a year in. Also, I do not want to work with the partner who is trying to foist the latest nonbillable project on me going forward - he's a nice guy as far as biglaw partners go, but I have zero interest in the type of work he does. Also, I have more than enough billable work at the moment and am not looking to fill my time with non-billable projects to make myself look occupied.

What the f.supp?

Bronze

Re: Gracefully refusing non-billable work?

Post by What the f.supp? » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:33 am

This happened to one of my friends over the past year. Basically what he did was bust his ass, work several nights and weekends to get everything done, and it has seemingly worked out well for him. He now has several senior associates and partners that hold him in high regard staff him on many of the plum projects.

No one likes being turned down, even if you make it sound more eloquent. Of course, if there is truly no time for it, then consider asking one of your classmates whether they have time to assist (so you can tell the partner you are too busy, but [associate] is available to assist). People generally appreciate the willingness to help out with the lackluster stuff, and will remember you, even though that might not seem so when they merely respond "thanks" to the client alert that you worked on into the early morning. I think it's a good thing that you're on peoples' radar.

Not sure whether this post is helpful, seeing as how you're not planning to remain at the firm, but whatevs.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Gotta use the "YES BUT" maneuver.

"Sure, I'd love to help but I'm slammed til (2 days after this is due). If you still need help let me know."
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:13 pm

Apparently you missed that recent thread about all the fellatio and whatnot

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:Apparently you missed that recent thread about all the fellatio and whatnot
Is fellatio not billable? [*dropping out of law school now]
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Gotta use the "YES BUT" maneuver.

"Sure, I'd love to help but I'm slammed til (2 days after this is due). If you still need help let me know."
I sometimes do it as a two parter, so it sounds like I really wanted to, but couldn't:

Email #1: "Sounds like a great opportunity! Thanks for reaching out. Let me check in with my teams on [billable matters] and see if the timing works.

*two hours later*

Email #2: "Heard back from my teams, looks like I won't have bandwidth until [date that's too late]. Let's touch base then and reassess if I can still help."

*never checks in again*

fats provolone

Platinum

Post by fats provolone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:45 pm

just do "sounds great, let me just clear it with <powerful partner>" and then never follow up

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:03 pm

The power move would be to assign them non-billable work instead.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:03 pm

The power move would be to assign them non-billable work instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm and practice group both require an absurd amount of mandatory nonbillable time devoted to "trainings" and "focus groups" and such that do not count toward any sort of billable target, not even after hitting a certain number of billable hours. In addition to these mandatory commitments, I (in particular) seem to have a target on my back and keep getting pulled on board for more and more non-mandatory, nonbillable projects. It's not even in areas I have asked about or expressed any interest in - I just get random emails adding me to these projects because they need someone. Does anyone have insights on how I can gracefully refuse without getting fired or landing myself on a shit list? It's stressful enough hitting my billable targets without having to push off real work for nonbillable bullshit.

FWIW, I am not looking to stay in this job for any longer than I have to, but would like to make it at least two full years without getting fired (24 months, not 2 "class years" counting the stub year). I am currently just over a year in. Also, I do not want to work with the partner who is trying to foist the latest nonbillable project on me going forward - he's a nice guy as far as biglaw partners go, but I have zero interest in the type of work he does. Also, I have more than enough billable work at the moment and am not looking to fill my time with non-billable projects to make myself look occupied.
The bolded is crucial to how you should handle this. I am in the same situation (why im posting anon) Turn that shit down son. They are not going to fire you are try to blackball you when you leave because you turned down non-billable work. Sure it would be nice if you could help ppl out but because they would be better for firm progression, but you only have one more year to go. You wont get fired for turning down non-billable shit within a year.!!!!!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm and practice group both require an absurd amount of mandatory nonbillable time devoted to "trainings" and "focus groups" and such that do not count toward any sort of billable target, not even after hitting a certain number of billable hours. In addition to these mandatory commitments, I (in particular) seem to have a target on my back and keep getting pulled on board for more and more non-mandatory, nonbillable projects. It's not even in areas I have asked about or expressed any interest in - I just get random emails adding me to these projects because they need someone. Does anyone have insights on how I can gracefully refuse without getting fired or landing myself on a shit list? It's stressful enough hitting my billable targets without having to push off real work for nonbillable bullshit.

The bolded is crucial to how you should handle this. I am in the same situation (why im posting anon) Turn that shit down son. They are not going to fire you are try to blackball you when you leave because you turned down non-billable work. Sure it would be nice if you could help ppl out but because they would be better for firm progression, but you only have one more year to go. You wont get fired for turning down non-billable shit within a year.!!!!!
Seconded on you not getting fired for it. You're your own business. If you're a sweater supply factory, and feel supplying some free sweaters to a potential franchise might prevent you from honoring your outstanding contracts then say no. But if you could do it, maybe that franchise will be what keeps your machines running when business slows down. It never hurts to have more partners who want to work with you, but not at the expense of messing something up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:27 pm

You can refuse non-gracefully and you still won't be in any danger of getting fired as long as you've got enough billable work coming in. Simply say that you're sorry but you don't have the time, and if you get any pushback, explain what your current (billable) obligations are. The person asking you to do non-billable work isn't going to approach the partners giving you billable work and say he needs more of your time to work on some silly speech--he'll instead just find some other junior associate who's too scared to say no.

IMO, if you're not gunning for partner, it's stupid to take on non-billable work unless it's for someone who is a major source of your billable work. The work counts for nothing (other than giving you an opportunity to please certain partners), and almost always requires a much greater time commitment than you're told.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:25 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

I sometimes do it as a two parter, so it sounds like I really wanted to, but couldn't:

Email #1: "Sounds like a great opportunity! Thanks for reaching out. Let me check in with my teams on [billable matters] and see if the timing works.

*two hours later*

Email #2: "Heard back from my teams, looks like I won't have bandwidth until [date that's too late]. Let's touch base then and reassess if I can still help."

*never checks in again*
(OP posting) I like this one in particular and have always wanted to use it, both to turn down nonbillable work and awful billable work. However, I always wonder what would happen if Partner A (the one you're turning down) happens to talk to Partner B (the partner whose work you used as an excuse) and they figure out that B's work wouldn't actually have prevented you from taking on A's project, or that you never really talked to B. I don't think I'd get fired on the spot, but I would have at least two reviews to make it through where the topic might come up (end of year and mid-year), and I wouldn't be ready for the "get out in three months" talk at either point.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

*two hours later*

*never checks in again*
(OP posting) I like this one in particular and have always wanted to use it, both to turn down nonbillable work and awful billable work. However, I always wonder what would happen if Partner A (the one you're turning down) happens to talk to Partner B (the partner whose work you used as an excuse) and they figure out that B's work wouldn't actually have prevented you from taking on A's project, or that you never really talked to B. I don't think I'd get fired on the spot, but I would have at least two reviews to make it through where the topic might come up (end of year and mid-year), and I wouldn't be ready for the "get out in three months" talk at either point.
Just be suitably vague. Don't say "I have to check in on the Company X merger with partner Y," say "let me check with my current deal teams."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”