Re-Take Feb bar exam or Wait till July, Need Help Please Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rgucsb

Bronze

Re-Take Feb bar exam or Wait till July, Need Help Please

Post by rgucsb » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:11 pm

I'm having trouble making a difficult career decision and would like your advice on whether I should re-take the Feb 15 bar exam or wait till July 15

I unfortunately did not pass the Feb 14 bar exam (1390/1420; almost fucking passed)

I decided to "take some time off" and look for a job, which took awhile and was a grueling process. Fortunately, I recently started working at a tech start up in LA as a Legal Compliance Manager and it has been great. Laid-back workplace, great perks, and the work experience has actually been valuable (i have learned a ton in the area of IP, Privacy, and Trademark Law) However, the pay is lower than what i expected and everyday I feel like im selling myself short; its been a humbling experience, esp since I work under 1 attorney that is my same age and he makes double what I make

However, my goal throughout law school was to be a litigator; I have 3+ years of work experience during law school at the PD's office and I am about 90% sure I will get hired on to the PD office once I pass the bar.

My dilemma is whether I should wait till July, that way I can save/make some $, gain more work experience, and potentially have my Job give me time off/let me come back after the bar (it would be more reasonable to ask for time off to study after 8 months of working there);

Ideally I would like to take the next exam, in Feb, but I am sure my Job will not be flexible in time off because I only started working there in Sept (it seems unreasonable to ask for 2 months off after only working there for 3 months);

A part of me wants to just say "fuck it", quit my job, and take the exam, but doing so would mean I'd lose my job, which was very difficult to get (I job searched for 5 months before I landed this, the job market is horrific); I'd also lose out on a substantial bonus that I'm going to get after 4 months of working their (a few thousand)

My parents are being supportive of either decision and I could live with them in the meantime if i decide to quit my job but I'm just really confused

I just turned 26 so I'm still fairly young but I would like to pass this exam as soon as possible; However, If i decided to take in Feb, I'd prob have to leave my job and lose the paychecks, work experience

What should I do? Thank you guys, any help is much appreciated

ran12

Silver

Re: Re-Take Feb bar exam or Wait till July, Need Help Please

Post by ran12 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:18 pm

I realize you want as much time to study as possible but you could keep your job and spend all your free time studying for the bar. I was working in-house while studying for the bar and it wasn't that hard to do. You basically have 4 months to study if you start now so might as well see if you can do it. Plus, if you feel like you're not prepared by the time Feb rolls around, you could decide not to take the exam and wait until July.

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Thanks ran12, I'm seriously considering working while studying but my hours and commute are not idea; I work 8-6 and commute about 45 min to work everyday; But I guess it just comes down to how bad I want to make it work and commit to studying while working; I just dont want to risk not passing, going through that entire failure process all because i didnt just take the time off fully to study

Avian

Bronze

Post by Avian » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Why is the February bar exam so important to you? I can't see an employer caring about this and it will only give you a few months extra to start looking for another job. If it means jeopardizing your current employment it doesn't sound like a good idea. There's always the chance you fail again or are not able to find a PD job after. I would want to keep this job at all costs until I knew I had something else lined up.

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:53 pm

Thank you Avian for the advice, You're definitely right about the importance of keeping my current job, esp since its in legal and the job market is Bad. The only reason I'd take the Feb bar instead of July is to get it over w/ quicker. However, the PD offices dont do their full hiring till mid Nov, so waiting seems like the best option; If I pass Feb though, I can potentially get a contract gig at a PD's office till Nov but that's not certain, I think I'm leaning towards waiting till July

rgucsb

Bronze

Post by rgucsb » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the genuine advice,
I think I'm going to sac up, work full-time (40 hrs), and study on weeknights and all day weekends, and use my 2-weeks vacation before the exam to cram;

Its going to be the worst 3 months of my life (Dec-Feb), but I want this more than anything in my life

Send good vibes my way and thanks guys

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”