Student Practitioners: Do you lead contested cases? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BvBPL

New

Student Practitioners: Do you lead contested cases?

Post by BvBPL » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:45 pm

I'm certified to represent clients before the court in some circumstances as a student practitioner in my jurisdiction. My externship is with a public services office that handles representation for parties facing commitment to the Commonwealth's secure psych facility.

Initially, my supervising attorney and I talked about me working contested cases, however she has lately informed me that this will not occur because the potential liability her office and I may face. While disappointing, I can appreciate her stance on the matter; I certainly do not want my name before the bar oversight board before I take the bar! I still get plenty of litigation experience representing clients in uncontested cases, and I help out, including being second chair, on some contested cases.

I was curious if other student practitioners handled any contested cases as leads. I talked with a few of my classmates, and the most contested thing they've done as leads were bail hearings. The school's clinics are an exception to this, there the students do lead the cases, but that's kind of the point of the clinic.

What has been your experience? Have you been asked to lead any contested cases?

minnbills

Gold

Re: Student Practitioners: Do you lead contested cases?

Post by minnbills » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:54 pm

I led 3 contested cases at my clinic. I have no idea how things work outside the clinics though.

Anonymous User

Re: Student Practitioners: Do you lead contested cases?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

I ran about half a dozen contested cases in law school, although I was (a) a clinical student and (b) was practicing in a forum (Social Security appeals) where you don't need to be admitted to represent a client. I did have the lead speaking role at a hearing in federal district court too, although I don't think I was technically the lead attorney because I was admitted PHV under the student practice provisions.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”