How Risky is This Lateral Position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Risky is This Lateral Position?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:39 am

How risky is it to take a V100 position when one of the interviewing partners told me that they are trying to grow the group and that there is a risk that there might not be enough work (billable) for me, depending on how the group grows. He stated that if there isn't enough hours then they would work on me with my compensation.

Is that him being a nice guy and is basically true of every job? or is that a huge concern?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: How Risky is This Lateral Position?

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:20 am

This sounds extremely risky. You're still in the courtship phase and they're already telling you you might get your pay cut because there's not enough work?? Stay away. If nothing else, this sounds like a poorly managed place.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:36 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This sounds extremely risky. You're still in the courtship phase and they're already telling you you might get your pay cut because there's not enough work?? Stay away. If nothing else, this sounds like a poorly managed place.
Seconded. If their first go to is cutting your compensation rather than getting you work from another practice group or something, that raises some pretty redoubtable red flags. If you've got an offer elsewhere, go elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:44 pm

This is risky. A friend of mine took a summer associate position with a firm because the firm was trying to grow one practice area. A year later, the effort to grow failed and my friend got no offered.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:06 pm

Avoid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:12 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:Avoid.
ETA: How long have you been in practice? I would not lateral to the firm as a junior associate. The position may be more appealing as a mid-level though if you can bring in/develop business. Even then, avoiding this situation seems like a better bet

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:41 pm

What exactly are you lateraling from? That seems rather relevant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”