Spending the summer for the offer. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eastwardway

New

Spending the summer for the offer.

Post by eastwardway » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi all,

I've received a summer at my first choice firm for Summer 2015. With months until summer, what advice is out there w/r/t getting an offer to return post-graduation or post-clerkship?

Show up each day, work hard, and make an impression? Is there much more to it than that?

MrProhibition

New

Re: Spending the summer for the offer.

Post by MrProhibition » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:35 pm

Be personable, go to every event, listen, bill double your time, makes jokes at the most senior partner, be smart, close your door if you are going to sleep, make the coffee in the morning, etc.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 pm

read the many threads that have already been posted about this.

hichvichwoh

Bronze

Post by hichvichwoh » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:37 pm

MrProhibition wrote:Be personable, go to every event, listen, bill double your time, makes jokes at the most senior partner, be smart, close your door if you are going to sleep, make the coffee in the morning, etc.
nope

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:38 pm

hichvichwoh wrote:
MrProhibition wrote:Be personable, go to every event, listen, bill double your time, makes jokes at the most senior partner, be smart, close your door if you are going to sleep, make the coffee in the morning, etc.
nope
I mean he put the "etc." there as if the threadstarter was smart enough to figure it out, but he did start this thread without even searching, so maybe he isn't....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 am

why worry about this now? you're working their either way, enjoy 2L. Third week of may start thinking about how not to fuck up.

(but just in case someone sees this down the road, don't double bill your time as a summer associate.. its very unlikely any of your hours will even ever reach the client, so entering twice the number of irrelevant hours into the timekeeping system will just make you seem like 1) a try-hard idiot or worse, 2) dishonest)

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 am

Chill out. If you are worried about a no offer at this point, you are going to be a mess by the time you start, and that could be bad news. Skill-wise, hit up your Lexis and Westlaw reps for classes as often as possible -- especially on things like secondary sources, statutory history and other more obscure sources. Random PITA research projects are great SA assignments because attorneys don't want to be bothered with remembering how to find XYZ database and Westlaw Next has definite limitations for some types of research.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:43 am

TooOld4This wrote:Chill out. If you are worried about a no offer at this point, you are going to be a mess by the time you start, and that could be bad news. Skill-wise, hit up your Lexis and Westlaw reps for classes as often as possible -- especially on things like secondary sources, statutory history and other more obscure sources. Random PITA research projects are great SA assignments because attorneys don't want to be bothered with remembering how to find XYZ database and Westlaw Next has definite limitations for some types of research.
I was under the impression corporate folk never have to deal with westlaw again; am I wrong?

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:06 am

sinfiery wrote:
TooOld4This wrote:Chill out. If you are worried about a no offer at this point, you are going to be a mess by the time you start, and that could be bad news. Skill-wise, hit up your Lexis and Westlaw reps for classes as often as possible -- especially on things like secondary sources, statutory history and other more obscure sources. Random PITA research projects are great SA assignments because attorneys don't want to be bothered with remembering how to find XYZ database and Westlaw Next has definite limitations for some types of research.
I was under the impression corporate folk never have to deal with westlaw again; am I wrong?
As an attorney, pretty much true. It can be hard to really get SAs involved in corporate work, though, so it is not unheard of to actually farm out research projects to them to satisfy idle curiosity about how courts might interpret xyz if it goes to lit some day.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:42 pm

avoid bankruptcy work if you want to avoid wexis, friend

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”