American Lawyer Lifetime Awards: Dress Concerns Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

American Lawyer Lifetime Awards: Dress Concerns

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:04 pm

Do you really need a tuxedo & patent leather shoes for TAL Awards ceremony as a law student? Yes, I know "Black Tie" traditionally means tux or no-show; however, I don't have one that fits anymore while I have a couple perfectly elegant black suits & ties. Even buying a whatever tux on sale at Macys I'll be dropping at least $450 w/ shirt/bow-tie (which probably just means borrowing it down the line when I'm short on rent in April on credit or stafford), and if I need patent leather, who knows how much more.

Can anyone who has attended in years past comment on how shitty/uncouth it would be to attend in 1) fit black suit/white shirt/black tie/polished leather, or 2) tuxedo dress but polished (not patent/shiny) shoes?

Yes, I recognize this is a silly question but I need to decide before next week, I'm too much of a pleb to really know how stickily attorneys are about the distinctions within black tie and I don't want to make my firm look overly gauche.

patogordo

Gold

Re: American Lawyer Lifetime Awards: Dress Concerns

Post by patogordo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:47 pm

you're a law student and you're already getting a lifetime achievement award. i think you can probably wear whatever you want.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 am

didn't go to this, but to tux events, I have always worn a $200 macys Tux with super buffed up office shoes. I highly doubt anyone can tell the difference

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:12 pm

White tux, tophat, highly-polished cane.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”