DF Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Re: Law Hacks

Post by smallfirmassociate » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:02 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:Another one: if you have a partner that gives you busy work assignments, check your document system and see if he already had someone else do it (or did it himself). You'd be blown away how often these guys are either checking themselves, or so unorganized that they forget they already asked someone else to do it.

If you have a fake deadline partner, ALWAYS push back. "I'm really sorry, but there is no way I can do this assignment by tomorrow. [Higher ranking partner] has me working on a big [whatever the fuck] on a tight deadline. I can get it to you by [a reasonable deadline, plus some fuck around time], if that would work." 99% of the time the fake deadline partner will be like "oh ya, its fine if you turn in the project I just said was an ASAP project 3 weeks from now."
When I get vague projects on bullshit deadlines, I turn in short memos with minimal research, but well before the deadline. I tell the partner I can add/revise/do additional research by the deadline if need be. Most of them are so unorganized or can't clarify what they want out of the memo that they tend to either not ask me to do any more or else finally clarify like a week or two later. Believe it or not, I've had a couple of partners come back with (weak) apologies for the assignment being so unclear.

Also, if your jurisdiction has an online doc system, you can look up cases and see that Partner Arbitrary Deadline doesn't really need to file his proof brief or resistance or whatever until like 11 days after the deadline he gave you. Or ask his secretary for the pleadings or opposing motion, whatever. If anyone questions you getting additional docs (they won't), just say you needed certain other info for your project or came across an "issue that might need further research."

This should be obvious, but since this is TLS: I'm not saying any of the above is good career advice.

PennBull

Diamond

Re: Law Hacks

Post by PennBull » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Someone gives you a clearly bogus assignment. Never do it.
example?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”