Semi-Split Summer in NY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Semi-Split Summer in NY?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:41 pm

I accepted an offer (Firm A) to do a 10-week SA in NY. You're required to do the full 10 weeks at this firm.

However, there's a second firm (Firm B) I have an offer from that I'd be interested in spending some time at. Would it be a crazy idea to try to spend 4 weeks after the 10 week SA at Firm B?

If Firm A is looking to no-offer/cold-offer someone, would I be first on the list if I do this? Should I even tell Firm A about it? If you think I should ask Firm A first, is there a good way to do this?

I've got more questions, but what do you think?

Platinum

Re: Semi-Split Summer in NY?

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer (Firm A) to do a 10-week SA in NY. You're required to do the full 10 weeks at this firm.

However, there's a second firm (Firm B) I have an offer from that I'd be interested in spending some time at. Would it be a crazy idea to try to spend 4 weeks after the 10 week SA at Firm B?

If Firm A is looking to no-offer/cold-offer someone, would I be first on the list if I do this? Should I even tell Firm A about it? If you think I should ask Firm A first, is there a good way to do this?

Many(Most?) New York firms are not ok with you splitting with another NY firm, make sure you ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:09 pm

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I accepted an offer (Firm A) to do a 10-week SA in NY. You're required to do the full 10 weeks at this firm.

Many(Most?) New York firms are not ok with you splitting with another NY firm, make sure you ask.
Would even asking make me look bad?

I mean, it's 10k on the table that I'd love to have, but I don't want to risk not getting an offer from Firm A.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:10 pm

And yes, Firm B is in NY as well.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm

What would compel you to want to do this? You would have to be a very risky person to dramatically increase the likelihood of a no-offer for 4 additional weeks of SA pay.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:00 pm

flawschoolkid wrote:What would compel you to want to do this? You would have to be a very risky person to dramatically increase the likelihood of a no-offer for 4 additional weeks of SA pay.
It's not just the money. I really like Firm B, and would likely have chosen them if it weren't for reasons out of my control.

ITT I try to have my cake, etc.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Just do firm A for the summer. Maybe tell your second offer that you'd already committed but "would love to speak during 3lOci or something. I can't imagine the added risk is worth it.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:40 pm

OP here.

By way of explanation, Firm A was the far less risky choice overall and I accepted because I'm risk averse with that stuff, but Firm B (which is inherently riskier as far as no-offers go) was easily my favorite in terms of culture and work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:53 pm

Would s/he have to tell the firm? It sounds like it's after the summer is over. I'm not advocating breaking any rules, but how is this conceptually different than being a waiter during the school year? It seems to only have the benefit of a split summer (2 bites at the big apple) without the downside (only having 5 weeks for your coworkers to get to know you). It's also an additional pre-tax $12.4k.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Is the firm a historic 100%? None of the people who matter in the offer/no offer decision should even know about your split. Recruiting isn't going to hold some grudge for 10 months because you asked the question. I'd go for it, I think this thread is being overly risk averse though I do understand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:14 pm

I did a similar split, though the 4-week firm wasn't in NY. My 10-week firm knew and had no issue; I received an offer without anyone mentioning my other firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did a similar split, though the 4-week firm wasn't in NY. My 10-week firm knew and had no issue; I received an offer without anyone mentioning my other firm.
Did the same. Had no issues.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:08 am

If it was outside NY, then you should be fine. If it's two NY firms, don't do it. 100% firms still cold offer.

If you really like Firm B, I second the posters in this thread promoting the 3L OCI approach. Keep in touch with them and maintain your interest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”