Networking Event Follow-up Email Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Networking Event Follow-up Email

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Had several conversations with attorneys at a networking event and received their business cards. I'm interested in the type of work they do.

Can anyone provide some insight into what to include in a follow-up email?

Thanks in advance.

Kratos

Platinum

Re: Networking Event Follow-up Email

Post by Kratos » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had several conversations with attorneys at a networking event and received their business cards. I'm interested in the type of work they do.

Thanks in advance.
Have you ever written an e-mail before?

Hi i enjoyed meeting you. I am interested in your practice area/type of work you do and was wondering if we could meet for _____/you could discuss you day to day in more depth/could give me advice on _____.

Figure out what you want from them and then ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Kratos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had several conversations with attorneys at a networking event and received their business cards. I'm interested in the type of work they do.

Thanks in advance.
Have you ever written an e-mail before?

Hi i enjoyed meeting you. I am interested in your practice area/type of work you do and was wondering if we could meet for _____/you could discuss you day to day in more depth/could give me advice on _____.

Figure out what you want from them and then ask.
Not OP but I struggle with the "__________" part. I have a job, don't particularly want advice or anything, and at the same time don't have much value to offer them. Just want to "network" for a few years down the road if I may want to lateral.

This leads me to so often getting business cards from people that seem impressed with me, and then just never following up. Even if I do follow up shortly after the networking event, wtf do you do between now and 1-3 years later when you may want them to push up in the hiring process or whatever?

Maybe I'm just aspie... but still..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:50 pm

OP here. The issue I'm having is that I do not have the time to personally meet up with every attorney I met. Yes, some I will ask to coffee, etc., but for those that I do not have time to meet with, what do I say in the follow-up email?

"It was nice meeting you...thank you for the advice..I hope to keep in touch in the future..." ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. The issue I'm having is that I do not have the time to personally meet up with every attorney I met. Yes, some I will ask to coffee, etc., but for those that I do not have time to meet with, what do I say in the follow-up email?

"It was nice meeting you...thank you for the advice..I hope to keep in touch in the future..." ?
That's exactly what I do. For those I have time to meet with, I ask for coffee or lunch. For those I cannot make time for I say "I look forward to keeping in touch in the future" or something like that. It works just fine. I'm sure many of them have similar, if not more severe time constraints. They understand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”