Preparing for 3L job search Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Preparing for 3L job search

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:22 am

I am currently a 2L. Ideally, I'd like to work in a small (10-50) litigation law firm. Open to most types of litigation. But if I had to pick, I'm particularly interested in personal injury, workers comp, product liability, healthcare/med mal, and similar types of law.

I have an offer to work for the DA'S office in my targeted city. The internship is paid (about half of what a small law firm in the area would... a 3rd of a large law firm...). They have given me a timeline as to when I need to accept the offer. That deadline is tomorrow. The problem is I have had 2 other callbacks recently. I have emailed both employers. One said they will not be able to get back to me in my time frame as their meeting to discuss hiring is next week. The other said they'd try to get back, but said it was doubtful. Both are small firms and from what I hear don't make quick offers. It generally takes them a week or two to finally make the call. These two callbacks obviously came late. I have been rejected from other screening interviews.

Just out of curiosity, with my goal, would working for the DA'S office my 2L summer disadvantage me in getting employment at a small litigation law firm? I worked for the City attorney my 1L summer and have also worked for a legal services office. The large law firms in the area rejected me after screening interviews. I was at 15% in my class so i think i was at the low end of all their lists. I've already decided to take the offer if I don't hear back from anyone by tomorrow because I think it'd be foolish to turn down a firm offer for hopes of another. I'm just curious how this will effect my plans. Thanks!

TooOld4This

Silver

Re: Preparing for 3L job search

Post by TooOld4This » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:41 am

No 2L summer job will disadvantage you much more than working for the DA.

The type of firm you are looking for is much more likely to hire closer to (or after) graduation. I would take the DA position and then spend the next 1.5 years networking for the job you want after graduation. The only type of work that a DA job could really hurt you with is PD. Pretty much anything else will be at worst neutral on the experience.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”