Best way to build a portable network? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best way to build a portable network?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 am

I'll be starting at a V10 soon, but my medium-term plan is to lateral home to a secondary/tertiary market for better QoL/CoL.

I've heard that having a good NYC network can be really helpful for one day generating buisness in a secondary market. (Of course I know no clients would follow me. I'm thinking more along the lines of referrals for local counsel.)

Other than doing good work, is there anything I should do now to build that network?

loomy78

Bronze

Re: Best way to build a portable network?

Post by loomy78 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be starting at a V10 soon, but my medium-term plan is to lateral home to a secondary/tertiary market for better QoL/CoL.

I've heard that having a good NYC network can be really helpful for one day generating buisness in a secondary market. (Of course I know no clients would follow me. I'm thinking more along the lines of referrals for local counsel.)

Other than doing good work, is there anything I should do now to build that network?
start watching sportscenter. bullshit about sports with EVERYONE. pick a team in every sport (preferably from your home town). banter with clients.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:39 pm

loomy78 wrote:start watching sportscenter. bullshit about sports with EVERYONE. pick a team in every sport (preferably from your home town). banter with clients.
Is there a good way to follow sports with a lower time investment than sportscenter? (Not a huge sports fan here, though I get how important it can be.)

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:59 pm

grantland.com has some higher quality articles. The WSJ sports section is interesting at times.

Get a single digit handicap in golf.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:11 pm

el madrileno wrote:Get a single digit handicap in golf.
:lol: kind of hard for us blind people. I have my friends point me in the right direction when I swing and then have them tell me where my ball went. Rinse and repeat for all 18 holes, hahahaha.

My short game is baller, tho, so it evens out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

el madrileno

New

Post by el madrileno » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:15 pm

bl1nds1ght wrote:
:lol: kind of hard for us blind people. I have my friends point me in the right direction when I swing and then have them tell me where my ball went. Rinse and repeat for all 18 holes, hahahaha.

You have awesome and patient friends.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:18 pm

el madrileno wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:

You have awesome and patient friends.
Don't worry, they give me tons of shit for it :mrgreen:

But yes, they are like family.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:38 pm

el madrileno wrote: Get a single digit handicap in golf.
My understanding was that networking in NYC biglaw doesn't rely on golf as much as networking in other markets does (because lawyer have less time and most courses are further away). Is that incorrect?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
My understanding was that networking in NYC biglaw doesn't rely on golf as much as networking in other markets does (because lawyer have less time and most courses are further away). Is that incorrect?
I don't know of a single person at my firm who plays golf with colleagues, and the two associates I know of who are shoo-ins for partner do not play golf.

On a serious note, working with partners who regularly litigate in state courts or who do the types of cases that are often litigated locally might be helpful. For example, environmental litigation is typically in the forum where the site is located, while M&A and securities litigation is typically in Delaware or SDNY. Antitrust is also typically in SDNY or DDC. Obviously when state AGs sue, it's in local court even for the latter types of cases, but as a general matter...

Another thing to do is to try to be the person on your team who communicates with local counsel, which is often not seen as glamorous work, so even as a junior it's something you can take ownership of.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
the two associates I know of who are shoo-ins for partner
Just wondering, but what makes these associates shoo-ins for partner? Overall dedication to the firm, work more billables, something else?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:01 am

bl1nds1ght wrote:Just wondering, but what makes these associates shoo-ins for partner? Overall dedication to the firm, work more billables, something else?
They certainly work a TON, but that's not how partnerships are decided at my firm. They (1) do good work, (2) shepherd cases in a way where partners don't need to pay attention, and have done so since they were barely mid-levels, (3) are liked by clients, and (4) are very liked by several of the most powerful partners in our department, who have worked very closely with them.

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:20 am

Lincoln wrote:
bl1nds1ght wrote:Just wondering, but what makes these associates shoo-ins for partner? Overall dedication to the firm, work more billables, something else?
They certainly work a TON, but that's not how partnerships are decided at my firm. They (1) do good work, (2) shepherd cases in a way where partners don't need to pay attention, and have done so since they were barely mid-levels, (3) are liked by clients, and (4) are very liked by several of the most powerful partners in our department, who have worked very closely with them.
Thank you for the reply.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”