Headhunters, Legal Recruiters, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Headhunters, Legal Recruiters, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:48 pm

Anyone have any experience with Edgemont Legal Group? http://edgemontrecruit.com/

Specifically Amy Burke, but any comments about the company are welcome.

General_Tso

Bronze

Post by General_Tso » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:51 pm

It doesn't take a lot of effort to work with a recruiter. They likely won't help most 2Ls/3Ls, but there's really no harm in trying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:57 pm

For those who have applied to firms directly, generally how soon did you hear back after submitting your application?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:40 pm

Perhaps this question has already been answered. I confess that I didn't read the entire thread. I would like to know if there is an advantage to using a legal recruiter. I applied directly after a U.S. Court of Appeals clerkship that ended early due to a family emergency. Although I got a couple of callbacks, I didn't land anything. I took a volunteer clerkship on D.D.C. and am looking to start somewhere in summer/fall 2016. DC is the market that I'm targeting, preferably BigLaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:53 pm

I've used "placement agencies" which turn out to really be temp agencies (99% document review)
Its ok if you want to make $20 an hour with commitments that are open ended as "up to 3 months" but often end up being between 3 days to a full year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xxxman

New

Post by xxxman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:55 pm

(bump)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:47 pm

I'm at a financial regulator with almost 3 years under my belt. This is my first job out of law school. Should I be looking at recruiters if I want to make the jump to private practice? If so, would the process be similar to a regular lateral?

fwiw, i came out of a TT in nyc with ok grades but no honors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've used "placement agencies" which turn out to really be temp agencies (99% document review)
Its ok if you want to make $20 an hour with commitments that are open ended as "up to 3 months" but often end up being between 3 days to a full year.
This is definitely not what I'm looking for. Some people I know recommended someone. I'm seriously thinking about giving it a shot. What do I have to lose? It's not like it went well the first time around.

kindachubby

New

Post by kindachubby » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Randy Roth?
Funny. I came on here looking for more info on Randy, too.

I'm working with him right now. I reached out to him because he helped a good work buddy of mine lateral from NYC V10 firm to SV/SF top tech firm. He only had good things to say about Randy.

Though I'm still in the middle of the process, I feel like he is "better" than the average recruiter. He's never pushy. Doesn't go HAM on the emails/calls. Will ask me specific permission for firms he wants to submit it even if it's just one firm at a time. That's not to say he hasnt' sent me long lists of firms that he thought would be good fits to start as a base but I get the sense that he doesn't spread my materials to every firm he can.

He also has a very personable approach which I like. He's always available to talk even up until like midnight and has even said that even if I get interviews through other means that he would be willing to prep me for those interviews too. He obviously has the long game in mind but it only convinces me that he's a true professional.

Feel free to direct message me. I'd like to get your take on him, too, if you're working with him.

Also, sorry that this is my first post on this account. I actually have several TLS accounts. One for when I was in law school and another once I got an offer at a V10 firm but then got really bad grades my 2L and 3L years and was afraid that my firm would care.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:29 am

I only worked with Randy really briefly because he happened to get in touch with me right before I got my current job, but I had a positive impression of him. He managed to line up another interview for me very last minute during my trip to interview for my current job and I definitely would have continued working with him had my job search not ended like a week later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:56 am

Really interested in this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a financial regulator with almost 3 years under my belt. This is my first job out of law school. Should I be looking at recruiters if I want to make the jump to private practice? If so, would the process be similar to a regular lateral?

fwiw, i came out of a TT in nyc with ok grades but no honors.
anyone on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Anyone have any experience with Windsor Consultants based in Houston or know anyone that does? If so, would you recommend or could you share your experience? This would be for looking for firm jobs in Texas.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mellowyellow119

New

Post by mellowyellow119 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:21 am

Does anyone have a recommendation for Seattle (for litigation)?

ihadadream

New

Post by ihadadream » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:For those who have applied to firms directly, generally how soon did you hear back after submitting your application?
You can hear back pretty fast if they are really interested. I'd say no more than three weeks for firms that are really interested, and frequently fewer than two. However, I know one girl who didn't hear back for like three months and still got the job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:27 am

I'm working with Carrie Printz from David Carrie, LLC. She seems nice, but it's been about a month and I haven't heard from any firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Anybody know anything about Liz McGarry of the Gunther Group, or that firm in general, in Chicago?

Not really looking to leave, but got a more personalized email, considering responding.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:11 am

Anyone worked with Sara Gail at Lone Star Legal Search? Any other recommendations for either Dallas or Houston market? Thanks.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:32 pm

fyi if anyone else is being spammed by michael larocca's weird email there's an unsubscribe link at the bottom

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Would it be worthless to contact legal recruiters as a 3L looking for first year positions in a specific city?

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be worthless to contact legal recruiters as a 3L looking for first year positions in a specific city?
yes

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:08 am

El Pollito wrote:fyi if anyone else is being spammed by michael larocca's weird email there's an unsubscribe link at the bottom
thought I had unsubscribed but still got an email from him on Sunday talking about his 12 year old nephew being able to do his job or something...fuck him

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2016 6:48 pm

Does anybody have any recommendations for recruiters they've used in NYC for making an in-house transition? I've found that I don't really even have the bandwidth to handle a search on my own these days, and it seems more difficult to gauge who is well respected for in-house moves. (4th year M&A attorney if it matters.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:41 pm

Bumping this thread because I know there was another headhunting discussion thread recently and don't want this one to get lost.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:14 pm

2013 HYS grad with "prestigious" (i.e., CA2/CA9/CADC; SDNY/DDC/ND Cal) court of appeals and district court clerkships now at DOJ via Honors Program. Spent a summer at a top DC biglaw firm and got full-time offer but turned it down for DOJ. Now thinking of leaving and returning to DC biglaw or boutique. Think a recruiter would do any good? Or better to use connections at firms/cold email?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”