do interviewers secretly talk to each other during cb Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

do interviewers secretly talk to each other during cb

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:07 pm

Do the interviewers communicate at all between the interviews? Like, when they send you to the next guy, do they secretly email the next guy saying they didnt like you or something (example:"heads up this guys sucks")?
For some of my callbacks, the interviews get progressively worse after each interviewer. Its like they knew they won't like me or something

It might be because I'm less enthusiastic in the latter interviews (though i try not to be) but that doesnt seem to be a sufficient explanation

North

Gold

Re: do interviewers secretly talk to each other during cb

Post by North » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 pm

Also curious about this. There was one CB I went on where it was UNCOMFORTABLY CLEAR at the post-CB lunch that the associates I was out with didn't think I'd be returning.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:44 pm

I've heard many firms will have an email chain with everyone on your schedule on it as you go. That's how firms do on the spot offers from my understanding.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 pm

I wouldn't doubt it if they did

I've had interviews going pretty well and have had people coming by to come meet me and stuff

They obvs got the word somehow

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:59 pm

at my firm: no. recruiter will send an email toward the end of the day to see what we think, and if the important people give a thumbs up, and no one gives a big thumbs down, they try to make an offer asap. never shit-talked someone during an interview, although have joked about some of them later with other colleagues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Interviewers are... People. So they behave accordingly... Some of my colleagues are actually friends that I hang out w occasionally outside of work. Even the others are people I see every day, shoot the shit with, and sometimes go to happy hour or cocktail receptions with. I've never interviewed anyone but I can say this with confidence: OF COURSE we will talk about you if there is anything worth talking about.

If you just left my office and there were anything about you worth gossiping about, I'd head across the hall and chat w the other bros. If one of them happens to interview.you later then... there you go.

I'd imagine that the more senior you are the less of a fuck you give. But what junior associate hasn't imagine finally being t the other side of the table for once? You think we're not gonna share that?

911 crisis actor

Bronze

Post by 911 crisis actor » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:11 pm

North wrote:Also curious about this. There was one CB I went on where it was UNCOMFORTABLY CLEAR at the post-CB lunch that the associates I was out with didn't think I'd be returning.
Did you get the offer tho

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:at my firm: no. recruiter will send an email toward the end of the day to see what we think, and if the important people give a thumbs up, and no one gives a big thumbs down, they try to make an offer asap. never shit-talked someone during an interview, although have joked about some of them later with other colleagues.
If someone says "no" but the person has some "yes" is there a way they might get offers eventually?

North

Gold

Post by North » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:37 pm

911 crisis actor wrote:
North wrote:Also curious about this. There was one CB I went on where it was UNCOMFORTABLY CLEAR at the post-CB lunch that the associates I was out with didn't think I'd be returning.
Did you get the offer tho
... No.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:57 pm

DF thread?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:at my firm: no. recruiter will send an email toward the end of the day to see what we think, and if the important people give a thumbs up, and no one gives a big thumbs down, they try to make an offer asap. never shit-talked someone during an interview, although have joked about some of them later with other colleagues.
If someone says "no" but the person has some "yes" is there a way they might get offers eventually?
If the no is a 2nd year associate and the yes is a partner, sure, it could happen. Depends on their other candidates, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 pm

OP here
Not DF, unfortunately... though I strive to be more like him everyday.

Reason I ask is because for couple interviews (including my latest one), the last 1-2 interviewers went straight to the "so do you have any questions for us?" phase. And the way they answer my questions clearly indicate I don't belong there. For example, they'll say something like "if I could give you advice on your job search, you should be looking for X, Y Z... which doesn't necessarily have to be us. Listen, the job search is about finding what's right for YOU". It seems like they're saying "read between the lines. I wish you luck.. just not here".

Also, the lunch thing happened to me as well. The associates clearly knew I most likely was not coming back.

Anyway, this has been happening for a few of my interviews so just wondering what's going on. I don't necessarily mean the interviewers are shit talking but maybe telling the next interviewer that they don't think I'm a strong candidate. Maybe they have a system in place where if the first two interviewers don't like the interviewee, it's an auto-ding. Or maybe I'm overthinking.

Neal Patrick Harris

Bronze

Post by Neal Patrick Harris » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here
Not DF, unfortunately... though I strive to be more like him everyday.
lol don't believe you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Robb

Bronze

Post by Robb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:05 am

Last edited by Robb on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:08 am

Got an offer from the hiring partner after my last callback interview. He came and picked me up from the associate I was meeting with. So it was clear they had been speaking in between my interviews. I even saw one or two shuffling around from my previous interviewers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:28 am

Cobretti wrote:I've heard many firms will have an email chain with everyone on your schedule on it as you go. That's how firms do on the spot offers from my understanding.

I can confirm this. Received spot offer and the MP who I asked to meet with me after my interview to make the offer told me about the emails he received throughout my interview session.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:47 am

I also think that there definitely was some sort of email chain/communication. I met with the Hiring Partner first thing in the morning, and as the day went on the associates I met with were more and more forward about "when I come to the firm."

Finally at lunch, one of the associates was telling me how much fun we're going to have on a specific summer associate event, and was asking me what I thought was reasonable/would be comfortable with as a buy-in amount for the firm's fantasy football league.

Was greeted by the Hiring Partner with an offer upon walking out of the elevator when I got back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:05 am

As a screener I was in the loop during the CB stage. Yes, the partners talk as the candidates are shuffled through the offices. Sometimes it is very positive and other times its meh. The final decision is via group consensus.

In the end it came down to having three more solid candidates than needed. Meaning that none of those three candidates did anything wrong, there just were not enough openings. None of those three were dinged immediately since the firm might have to circle back in the event that an offer is rejected, So, if you had a callback and haven’t heard anything, that might be why. Others that did not make the cut, were notified.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:39 pm

Our office is Biglaw but smaller/satelliete (about 60) and we talk all the time, even during the day while the 2L is going around. If attorneys really like a candidate, then word gets out and the attorneys towards the end of the callback are told basically to recruit more than evaluate.

And it works the other way too. If we don't like you, that will be shared/discussed. But likely forgotten the next day.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”