Biglaw firm canceled my callback, TTT behavior? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw firm canceled my callback, TTT behavior?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:30 pm

Obviously I am glad they cancelled (albeit the day before my callback was scheduled) instead of wasting any more of my time but I am a little flummoxed, especially by the peppy and unapologetic tone with which they did it. Am I overreactive to common behavior or do I have the right to judge them negatively forever? This seems to be the cherry on top of a pretty bad no-offering record...

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Re: Biglaw firm canceled my callback, TTT behavior?

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously I am glad they cancelled (albeit the day before my callback was scheduled) instead of wasting any more of my time but I am a little flummoxed, especially by the peppy and unapologetic tone with which they did it. Am I overreactive to common behavior or do I have the right to judge them negatively forever? This seems to be the cherry on top of a pretty bad no-offering record...
Let's play TLS third favorite game.

Out!
That!
Firm!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Obviously I am glad they cancelled (albeit the day before my callback was scheduled) instead of wasting any more of my time but I am a little flummoxed, especially by the peppy and unapologetic tone with which they did it. Am I overreactive to common behavior or do I have the right to judge them negatively forever? This seems to be the cherry on top of a pretty bad no-offering record...

Out!
That!
Firm!
Let's just say they were recently in the limelight for rescinding post-summer offers.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:

Out!
That!
Firm!
Let's just say they were recently in the limelight for rescinding post-summer offers.
Does the name rhyme with Brown Muddick?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:53 pm

I would waste precisely zero energy hating them. At least they did it upfront instead of lulling you into a sense of security and then axing you right before 3L finals. Which should legitimately be a crime, just saying.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:09 pm

After what they did last year, I don't blame them for wanting to micromanage the process to ensure that they don't end up with a single more SA than they can hire. At the same time, I would also feel kind of slighted too, so I don't think it's an incredibly irrational reaction. Students cancel CBs all the time because they have offers and don't want to waste the firm's time. I don't see what's incredibly wrong with a firm canceling a CB after it fills up a summer class for the same reason.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Yea its a totally different story. Canceling a callback isn't even canceling an opportunity, since they'd just ding you anyway.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:20 pm

If Brown Rudnick was going to absolutely fuck over those ten incoming associates instead of offering them deferrals, why the fuck were they doing OCI? It was not discussed nearly enough how shitty that was of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

raekaya

New

Post by raekaya » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:44 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:If Brown Rudnick was going to absolutely fuck over those ten incoming associates instead of offering them deferrals, why the fuck were they doing OCI? It was not discussed nearly enough how shitty that was of them.
Do you mean why would a firm rescind offers and/or no offer but then do OCI the following year? I'm wondering the same thing. If they couldn't afford the incoming associate salaries, how can they afford SAs and the the salaries of the next year's incoming associates? Is the recruiting just to keep up appearances?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Likely Brown Rudnick SA here (it's my only offer). I believe they reduced the summer class down to 10. The year the screweed people over they had 20.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 pm

raekaya wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:If Brown Rudnick was going to absolutely fuck over those ten incoming associates instead of offering them deferrals, why the fuck were they doing OCI? It was not discussed nearly enough how shitty that was of them.
Do you mean why would a firm rescind offers and/or no offer but then do OCI the following year? I'm wondering the same thing. If they couldn't afford the incoming associate salaries, how can they afford SAs and the the salaries of the next year's incoming associates? Is the recruiting just to keep up appearances?
They just didn't need as many first years as they thought. But they'll still need some first years in the future.

The reason they didn't just defer the first years and not hire at OCI is because there is a 2 year gap between OCI and starting.

I guess they could defer 2014 class into 2015. Defer 2015 into 2016, and just not hire 2016. But that's pretty complicated.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:14 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Likely Brown Rudnick SA here (it's my only offer). I believe they reduced the summer class down to 10. The year the screweed people over they had 20.
Instead of bringing in ten new people, they could've given ten two-year PI/clerkship deferrals with a small stipend. Bet you most of them would've taken it.

Or, you know, they could cut back on the 35 fucking laterals they took in 2013. Wanna take bets on the 2014 number being significantly larger than ten?

mvpforme

Bronze

Post by mvpforme » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:00 am

What happened with this year's class?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:48 pm

Is it really all that different than getting a clerkship interview scheduled and the judge calling you a day or two before your interview to cancel it because he hired his clerks for that year? That's something judges do all the time, and no one ever calls them out for it. I mean obviously employers are going to interview their best candidates first, and if they decide to hire before you get your interview, it makes a lot more sense to cancel your interview rather than waste your time.
Desert Fox wrote:
raekaya wrote:
They just didn't need as many first years as they thought. But they'll still need some first years in the future.

The reason they didn't just defer the first years and not hire at OCI is because there is a 2 year gap between OCI and starting.

I guess they could defer 2014 class into 2015. Defer 2015 into 2016, and just not hire 2016. But that's pretty complicated.
This actually makes more sense than wasting $30k per head that they no-offered. 2L SAs that don't lead to full-time offers are a giant waste of money, since SAs get paid a lot more than the income they generate for the firm.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
raekaya wrote:

It's sad though, because most firms address their hiring needs through the 2L class so it's not like it's easy to get something new. Also, if some people got offers, the presumption is the people who did not are not as good as the people who did.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I think we can all agree that whoever is doing Brown Rudnik's recruiting/hiring/etc. strategy needs to be moved to another position. This shit's unprofessional and embarrassing.

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:39 pm

zweitbester wrote:I think we can all agree that whoever is doing Brown Rudnik's recruiting/hiring/etc. strategy needs to be moved to another position. This shit's unprofessional and embarrassing.
TBF, I don't think s/he anticipated the risk this thread would happen. Saving the firm time and money may have seemed smart. It could also be they're not in a position to focus on growth and don't care what law students think?

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:34 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Is it really all that different than getting a clerkship interview scheduled and the judge calling you a day or two before your interview to cancel it because he hired his clerks for that year? That's something judges do all the time, and no one ever calls them out for it. I mean obviously employers are going to interview their best candidates first, and if they decide to hire before you get your interview, it makes a lot more sense to cancel your interview rather than waste your time.
Answer this: is it really any different when a professional athlete just walks away from the game in the prime of his career for no reason even when teams want him to play than when a team cuts a player, and he is forced to retire in the prime of his career because no team wants his services?

Of course it's different, in terms of what we find acceptable, normal, or odd. Ultimately, it's just basic economics.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:49 pm

The thing is that firms that rescind offers also tend to lay off first year associates. So if you end up going, beware that and think about how you're going to explain to future employers why you only worked at your first biglaw firm for a few months before leaving.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AReasonableMan

Gold

Post by AReasonableMan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:05 pm

Firms canceling and students canceling aren't the same. Theres no scenario where it's better for the firm to have someone committed elsewhere (and honoring the commitment) go on the CB. They lose many people's time, which winds up being more expensive than the refundable airfare and hotel (which also factors into taxes where as time doesn't).

For a law student, a day in October doesn't matter one bit. You get more experience interviewing, get to stay in a hotel, and have your meals paid for. You also get to learn more about what different lawyers do. So them canceling isn't as selfless as some give them credit for. It's worse than being at home but not all a loss.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Which office was this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”