Stub year retirement savings -- Roth 401(k) v. debt v. cash Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What's generally the best way to spend your stub year pay?

Max your Roth IRA/401(k) to take advantage of low stub year taxes
60%
Build up an emergency fund
10%
Pay down debt (assume interest is 6.8%)
30%

Total votes: 10

Anonymous User

Stub year retirement savings -- Roth 401(k) v. debt v. cash

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:34 pm

Since your effective tax rate during your stub year is suuuuper low (maybe 15% total) because your taxable income is like 1/4 what it will be next year, I was curious if there's any general wisdom on prioritizing building an emergency fund, paying down loans, and saving for retirement with a Roth IRA/Roth 401(k) (to take advantage of the temporarily low tax rates). Thoughts?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: Stub year retirement savings -- Roth 401(k) v. debt v. cash

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:35 pm

You'll probably be struggling to pay back your credit cards, new expenses, etc. etc.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:You'll probably be struggling to pay back your credit cards, new expenses, etc. etc.
lol yup

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:53 pm

I am interested in this as well. I will be an incoming associate in Sept 2015 and I will be able to pay off all of my law school loans/credit cards by October 2015. Currently have $4k of debt total as a 3L.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am interested in this as well. I will be an incoming associate in Sept 2015 and I will be able to pay off all of my law school loans/credit cards by October 2015. Currently have $4k of debt total as a 3L.
Max out 401k and emergency fund.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:49 pm

Use Roth IRA as emergency fund. First $5500 goes there, rest into taxable savings. I don't know how common it is for firms to let new employees into the 401(k) right off the bat, but once eligible I'd put money in there after contributing to Roth and building a separate small taxable emergency fund.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:01 pm

My firm lets me invest in a Roth 401(k) right off the bat. My thinking is that after building up my rainy day fund, I should plow what I can into my Roth 401(k) to take advantage of my low tax rates this year, but I was curious if others were doing the same.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm lets me invest in a Roth 401(k) right off the bat. My thinking is that after building up my rainy day fund, I should plow what I can into my Roth 401(k) to take advantage of my low tax rates this year, but I was curious if others were doing the same.
I'd go with the Roth IRA first just because you'll have way more investment options and much easier access to the money.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm lets me invest in a Roth 401(k) right off the bat. My thinking is that after building up my rainy day fund, I should plow what I can into my Roth 401(k) to take advantage of my low tax rates this year, but I was curious if others were doing the same.
I'd go with the Roth IRA first just because you'll have way more investment options and much easier access to the money.
Do you know the significant differences between the two? I get that the tax situation is the same (contributions are taxes, distributions are not), but it sounds like withdrawals from Roth IRA are generally always non-taxable, whereas non-qualified withdrawals from a Roth 401(k) are taxable to the extent of the earnings (and they pro-rate the earnings and basis). Is that right-ish?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Do you know the significant differences between the two? I get that the tax situation is the same (contributions are taxes, distributions are not), but it sounds like withdrawals from Roth IRA are generally always non-taxable, whereas non-qualified withdrawals from a Roth 401(k) are taxable to the extent of the earnings (and they pro-rate the earnings and basis). Is that right-ish?
Distributions are pro-rated from a 401k where from an IRA the contributions come first and then the earnings. Roth IRA earnings are subject to tax and penalty if you withdraw early but taking out the contributions first does give you a bit more wiggle room. But if you're planning for retirement that shouldn't make much difference; after 59.5 everything comes out tax-free.

There are also some minor differences in penalty exceptions (no penalty for early distribution for education from an IRA, but penalty if from a 401k) but these aren't worth making big decisions over. Again, the big advantage of the IRA is that you aren't limited by your employers investment selections and can access the money at any time should the need arise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”