Accepted offer, now what? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepted offer, now what?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:30 pm

Accepted a summer associate position at a lower V50. How much interaction do people usually have with a firm from acceptance until summer starts?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Re: Accepted offer, now what?

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:33 pm

Have you gotten the brownies yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Have you gotten the brownies yet?
No brownies yet

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:35 pm

What about the tote bag?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:39 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:What about the tote bag?
No totes yet

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goden

Gold

Post by goden » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:40 pm

If it's lower V50 not much. Crack the V40 tho and it's a whole different ballgame

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:45 pm

I thought this thread was going to be a little more existential, because I really have no idea wtf I'm supposed to obsess over anymore.

fourtyacslaw

New

Post by fourtyacslaw » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:58 pm

Actually curious about this as well. Do people typically make it a point to talk to the people at the firm where you will be working next summer or is it pretty much just silence and smooth sailing until next summer hits?

WHJTMG178

New

Post by WHJTMG178 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:00 pm

fourtyacslaw wrote:Actually curious about this as well. Do people typically make it a point to talk to the people at the firm where you will be working next summer or is it pretty much just silence and smooth sailing until next summer hits?

Just enjoy your school year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Personally, I've been spending my time productively skipping class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:40 pm

competitively play DotA2 in hopes of earning enough $$ to never have to work biglaw to pay off your loans

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:52 pm

First Offense wrote:Personally, I've been spending my time productively skipping class.
Speaking of which, just how bad do my grades need to be to get no-offered. I've probably already skipped a third of class.

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:25 pm

Chances are fair that you will be invited to the firm Christmas party and perhaps one or two other gatherings before your SA begins.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wojo98

Bronze

Post by wojo98 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:09 pm

Cobretti wrote:I thought this thread was going to be a little more existential, because I really have no idea wtf I'm supposed to obsess over anymore.
This. This so much.

B.B. Homemaker

Gold

Post by B.B. Homemaker » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:16 pm

wojo98 wrote:
Cobretti wrote:I thought this thread was going to be a little more existential, because I really have no idea wtf I'm supposed to obsess over anymore.
This. This so much.
Not having an immediate goal to work toward is a law student striver's worst nightmare, so I was also disappoint by the content of this thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:17 am

goden wrote:If it's lower V50 not much. Crack the V40 tho and it's a whole different ballgame
Accepted at a V30 and haven't gotten any swag. Do most firms send out some merchandise? I feel left out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:20 am

this bitch wrote:
goden wrote:If it's lower V50 not much. Crack the V40 tho and it's a whole different ballgame
Accepted at a V30 and haven't gotten any swag. Do most firms send out some merchandise? I feel left out.
:cry: :cry:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:26 am

V20. No swag. All the sadz.

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:04 am

Fantasy Football -- but after starting 0-2 and with no start-able running backs I'm beginning to worry and think about what the fantasy football equivalent to "don't read the tea leaves, start mass mailing" is because whatever it is I need to start doing it fast.

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:35 am

Since it is impossible to ask a question here anymore without getting trolled, I will try to answer honestly (sorry if someone already jumped in with this, but im not reading all the responses above above me)

After you get your offer and offer letter, you generally will not hear much until it gets closer to the summer. The firm has not forgotten about you. If you want to reach out to some attorneys, go for it. If you will be in the area and want to try to meet someone for coffee, the worst they can say is no, especially if you liked or connected with them at your callback. If you do this, have some actual questions ready, dont just go to hang out.

You might get swag, you might not. My firm sent us a care package around Halloween (once they filled the class I expect) and some cookies at christmas/fall finals time. Otherwise, I didnt hear from them until around the end of March.

Congrats on the offer and relax. Grades still matter, but a drop will have to be pretty drastic (think tanking your GPA by >.5, or below a 3.0 cumulative) to get no offered. In all honesty, due to less stress and being more interested in my classes, I got better grades in 2L than in 1L with less work.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:04 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:
Fantasy Football -- but after starting 0-2 and with no start-able running backs I'm beginning to worry and think about what the fantasy football equivalent to "don't read the tea leaves, start mass mailing" is because whatever it is I need to start doing it fast.
Lol I'm still the one in last place bro

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:10 pm

I would not reach out. There is almost no way of doing it with out it being forced and awkward. (The exception is that you can/should send a note to the people you interviewed with to thank them again and let them know you hope you will see/work with them over the summer).

You've got the job. You will be given lots of opportunity to organically interact over the summer, there is really no legit reason to pester them between now and then. There is a line between enthusiastic and high maintenance that you don't want to cross.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”