Boies v. Cleary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Old Gregg

Platinum

Re: Boies v. Cleary

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:48 pm

They cited reasons including but not limited to,
fuck man thanks so much for adding that. would've totally thought there weren't any other reasons.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:07 pm

zweitbester wrote:
fuck man thanks so much for adding that. would've totally thought there weren't any other reasons.
you can see from my post that I'm not at all trashing Boies. I just didn't remember all the rationalizations people made. sometimes the legalese shorthand really is a shorthand.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am

Anonymous User wrote: Only if you don't actually want to be a lawyer--in which case, yes, definitely not the place to be.
This is why people who choose sweatshops are fucking insufferable. "Oh if you want to go home occasionally to see your family then I just guess you don't want to be a lawyer." DIAF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:53 pm

First Offense wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Only if you don't actually want to be a lawyer--in which case, yes, definitely not the place to be.
This is why people who choose sweatshops are fucking insufferable. "Oh if you want to go home occasionally to see your family then I just guess you don't want to be a lawyer." DIAF.
Did you read my post? The point is that your hours are far more flexible when you run your own cases, so you can certainly see your family working 2600 hours. The junior partners here with kids all leave around 6pm to have dinner with their families and spend time with their kids until the kids go to bed. Do they log back on after? Sure, if it's necessary.

What you lose at these levels is a lot of down time -- the average American watches five hours of TV a day. You won't have time for that, although I usually watch at least an hour of TV each day.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I summered at Cleary and did litigation. I ended up choosing a different firm during 3L year but mainly because of location.

Youre not going to get substantive litigation experience at Cleary. I knew 6th years who had never taken a depo. Litigation in biglaw sucks generally, but the white shoe NY firms are particularly bad as far as getting substantive work.

Having said that, I would go Cleary here. The hours difference is definitely a big deal, and I also get the impression that Boies would be a bit more "aggressive" work environment.
The stereotype that we're "aggressive" is really misplaced. This firm is actually more collaborative than most, since there is plenty of work to go around and no one needs to fight for partner interaction. The bottom line is, every other associate would have my back if I needed them to.

If this stereotype is making anyone reluctant about coming to BSF, my best advice would be to talk to the people at your school who actually summered here. They all seemed happy, and they all accepted their offers to return.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

igo2northwestern

Bronze

Post by igo2northwestern » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:15 am

zweitbester wrote:
lol read that and thought the same thing

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”