White & Case Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

White & Case

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:24 am

Anyone know what the current financial status of White & Case is (specifically NY)? I read through the past posts detailing the alleged stealth layoffs a few years back, but couldn't find anything really recent. Concerned about their stability.

Anonymous User

Re: White & Case

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:31 am

My 2 cents. W&C works differently from other firms in that they are basically a couple of firms operating under one name. (source: NYC lawyer with 8 years exp; someone correct this if I'm wrong). However, their offices around the US are probably profitable; unlike Weil in miami, they actually have a practice that feeds from Miami. Had a CB there and two 1st year associates looked exhausted and talked about exit opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:My 2 cents. W&C works differently from other firms in that they are basically a couple of firms operating under one name. (source: NYC lawyer with 8 years exp; someone correct this if I'm wrong). However, their offices around the US are probably profitable; unlike Weil in miami, they actually have a practice that feeds from Miami. Had a CB there and two 1st year associates looked exhausted and talked about exit opportunities.
I don't get how this relates to the question. Tired = profitable and therefore an okay option?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:51 am

Quite the opposite.

If the associates are visibly tired they're probably being overworked, but it doesn't sound like the firm is in a position to hire more associates to help out. Not a great sign in terms of the firm's profitability.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:21 pm

White & Case had the largest layoffs of any firm during the recession, but they're also a huge firm. They were way overhiring pre-crisis, and their summer classes are much smaller now. It's a huge, unwieldy firm, but unless they start ramping up summer class sizes again, I can't see huge layoffs happening again. Their class sizes are just much more under control. And I've not heard anything about actual instability beyond previous overhiring (which is not a big deal for long-term firm health, even though they totally screw some associates by laying them off early)--certainly nothing like Bingham, which is showing some of the same signs Dewey was a few years ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:44 pm

OP here.

So it's fair to say that White & Case is pretty solid financially and will probably not be a terrible choice barring economic crisis?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

So it's fair to say that White & Case is pretty solid financially and will probably not be a terrible choice barring economic crisis?
Also interested in any information about White & Case. It seems like all of the information about their potential financial issues is a few years old, so I'd be interested in hearing any info about how they're doing now.

sideroxylon

Gold

Post by sideroxylon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 pm

THE CREAM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:17 pm

sideroxylon wrote:THE CREAM
Is it true that the cream goes to White & Case?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

The consistently rank at the absolute bottom of AmLaw Mid-Level Associate Satisfaction Surveys. Go check those out.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:44 am

The cream doesn't only go to White and Case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 pm

According to both the following article as well as attorneys at the firm, White & Case is moving its NYC headquarters in 2017. It is just down the street according to Google Maps, but it will supposedly be a lot nicer.
[u]The Rockefeller Group[/u] wrote:The Rockefeller Group today announced that White & Case LLP, a leading global law firm with operations in 26 countries, has signed a 440,000 square foot long-term lease for its New York office at 1221 Avenue of the Americas. The leased space includes the top floors in the building, as well as below grade space. The firm will relocate to 1221 in 2017.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”