Paying off Law School Loans & Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paying off Law School Loans & Big Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:37 am

Does anyone have advice from personal experience about how long it normally takes to pay off student loans? I go to a t-20 and pay full sticker, but was lucky and landed a job in big law starting next year.

Thanks for any and all information.

toothbrush

Gold

Re: Paying off Law School Loans & Big Law

Post by toothbrush » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have advice from personal experience about how long it normally takes to pay off student loans? I go to a t-20 and pay full sticker, but was lucky and landed a job in big law starting next year.

Thanks for any and all information.
this is a great resource: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=220025

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:09 am

as a follow up, i browse /r/personalfinance a bit and see similar posts to what you are looking for - success stories of people paying off large chunks of loans. although not lawyers, you can extrapolate. i just sorted by top/all time and found this which may be a good starting point --LinkRemoved--

(i'm not here to argue the merits of the advice on /r/pf just saying it's another place to browse if you are interested in this sort of discussion)

good luck, and congrats on the SA

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:21 am

Five or six years at full sticker in a high cost of living area at market rate. Maybe 4 in Texas. 6-7 in NYC.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:25 am

OP here.....thank you for all the information. It is in NYC, so I was assuming 10 years, but 6-7 years sounds a lot better haha

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.....thank you for all the information. It is in NYC, so I was assuming 10 years, but 6-7 years sounds a lot better haha
Depends on how aggressive you are. You should be eating ketchup sandwiches if your rate is 7%+. You should be doing 10 years and meals at chipotle if you snag a 3% or lower interest rate instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”