Leaving 3-Yr Commitment Job for 1-Yr Clerkship - Possible? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving 3-Yr Commitment Job for 1-Yr Clerkship - Possible?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 pm

I am a 3L applying to various public defense jobs (trial and appellate) in the greater NYC area. The positions require either a two-year or three-year commitment.

The issue is that I want to apply for a one-year federal clerkship for 2017-2018 (and judges are considering applications now). This would be after year #2 of whatever job I end up getting.

I know law firms have an established way of dealing with employees who want to go off to do a clerkship for a year or two, but what about public interest organizations? Do you think an organization requiring a 3-year commitment would allow me to take a one-year leave of absence after year #2 and then return to finish my final year?

Also, when is the appropriate time to have this conversation with a potential employer? During the interview process, or after receiving a job offer? The organizations definitely don't advertise the 3-year commitment aspect, so I wonder if it's okay to wait.

sundance95

Gold

Re: Leaving 3-Yr Commitment Job for 1-Yr Clerkship - Possible?

Post by sundance95 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 3L applying to various public defense jobs (trial and appellate) in the greater NYC area. The positions require either a two-year or three-year commitment.

The issue is that I want to apply for a one-year federal clerkship for 2017-2018 (and judges are considering applications now). This would be after year #2 of whatever job I end up getting.

I know law firms have an established way of dealing with employees who want to go off to do a clerkship for a year or two, but what about public interest organizations? Do you think an organization requiring a 3-year commitment would allow me to take a one-year leave of absence after year #2 and then return to finish my final year?

Also, when is the appropriate time to have this conversation with a potential employer? During the interview process, or after receiving a job offer? The organizations definitely don't advertise the 3-year commitment aspect, so I wonder if it's okay to wait.
The time to discuss is when you have the clerkship offer. there's very little upside for you before then, and considerable downside.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”