. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

TTRansfer

Gold

Re: How miserable my life will be if I go to a V3 law firm?

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Less miserable than V2. More miserable than V4.

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have to choose among a V3 law firm (okay, it's S&C) and a couple of other V15 law firms.
Probably will do corporate, and I am that kind of person who cannot physically concentrate on anything without 7-8 hours sleep a day.
Among the law firms, S&C has the strongest corporate practice, but to be billed 2,500+ hours a year sounds really terrifying.
Any comments on the hours at S&C? Can people at least have 7 hours sleep, even at the busiest season? Or do they actually take the vacation?
S&C is V4, not V3. HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have to choose among a V3 law firm (okay, it's S&C) and a couple of other V15 law firms.
Probably will do corporate, and I am that kind of person who cannot physically concentrate on anything without 7-8 hours sleep a day.
Among the law firms, S&C has the strongest corporate practice, but to be billed 2,500+ hours a year sounds really terrifying.
Any comments on the hours at S&C? Can people at least have 7 hours sleep, even at the busiest season? Or do they actually take the vacation?
S&C is V4, not V3. HTH.
Thanks for the correction!

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SLS_AMG wrote:
S&C is V4, not V3. HTH.
Thanks for the correction!
Oh, DF, you almost had me. But this gave you away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Re: How miserable my life will be if I go to a V4 law firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:38 pm

hope you're not too attached to sleep or your family...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 pm

That you call it V4 and not S&C makes me think you'll fit in just fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:01 pm

I chose from between four of the V5 and I actually really liked S&C, but wound up choosing Davis Polk as far as NY is concerned. (I did not have Wachtell as an option).

If you want the highest caliber transactional work and you're okay with tough hours/not looking for a very social work life then I'd go for S&C over anywhere but Wachtell.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I chose from between four of the V5 and I actually really liked S&C, but wound up choosing Davis Polk as far as NY is concerned. (I did not have Wachtell as an option).

If you want the highest caliber transactional work and you're okay with tough hours/not looking for a very social work life then I'd go for S&C over anywhere but Wachtell.
/jbagel
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:12 pm

The fact that u say v4 tells me your life is already pretty miserable

SLS_AMG

Bronze

Post by SLS_AMG » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I chose from between four of the V5 and I actually really liked S&C, but wound up choosing Davis Polk as far as NY is concerned. (I did not have Wachtell as an option).

Ah, so you chose Davis Polk because you wanted lower caliber transactional work with hours that weren't tough relative to S&C. Got it.

I don't know how S&C's marketing team keeps convincing everyone that their work quality is higher than that of Cravath, Davis Polk, et. al., but it's apparently working.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:21 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:

Ah, so you chose Davis Polk because you wanted lower caliber transactional work with hours that weren't tough relative to S&C. Got it.

I don't know how S&C's marketing team keeps convincing everyone that their work quality is higher than that of Cravath, Davis Polk, et. al., but it's apparently working.
Same way that Cleary became a "culture" firm and Paul Weiss isn't considered a sweatshop.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:27 pm

SLS_AMG wrote:

No, I chose davis because I liked them better and the differences are incredibly marginal (also hedging lit but didn't get boies or PW). But I liked S&C more than I thought I would. Sorry it wasn't clear.

You're right they do have a good marketing game

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:35 pm

You will get the highest caliber corporate work at all of V5 (with slight differences in practice areas) so that's just a strange reason to choose S&C

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”