Do firms hire all their callbacks? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do firms hire all their callbacks?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:50 am

Does the size of the firm depend on if they will ire all their call backs? (for example, if it is a small firm with 5 or 6 attorneys, will they give offers to all their call backs and the call back stage is a formality?) Also what is the chances of getting an offer from a call back?

sideroxylon

Gold

Re: Do firms hire all their callbacks?

Post by sideroxylon » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:51 am

pls lurk more

(no they do not)

mohanster

New

Post by mohanster » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:51 am

Were you born yesterday?

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:56 am

It is actually typically the opposite. In VERY broad strokes, bigger firms tend to hire more like 1/2 the callbacks. Smaller firms way less.

The only firm I know that offers almost all CB's is Sulcrom (because they just care about dat GPA).
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Were you born yesterday?
yes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It is actually typically the opposite. In VERY broad strokes, bigger firms tend to hire more like 1/2 the callbacks. Smaller firms way less.

The only firm I know that offers almost all CB's is Sulcrom (because they just care about dat GPA).
Pretty much this, I think. From what our career services told us (and showed us) at UVA, the callback to offer percentage was around 47%, with higher than average numbers in DC/NY, and lower than average pretty much everywhere else.

But that doesn't matter. Keep hustling.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Only sullcrom basically offers all it's cbs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does the size of the firm depend on if they will ire all their call backs? (for example, if it is a small firm with 5 or 6 attorneys, will they give offers to all their call backs and the call back stage is a formality?) Also what is the chances of getting an offer from a call back?

sometimes I feel bad when ppl received snarky, unhelpful responses to real questions. This is not one of those times. just using common sense WHY would a firm have a CB stage if they were presumably going to give every candidate an offer? Complete waste of resources.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does the size of the firm depend on if they will ire all their call backs? (for example, if it is a small firm with 5 or 6 attorneys, will they give offers to all their call backs and the call back stage is a formality?) Also what is the chances of getting an offer from a call back?

sometimes I feel bad when ppl received snarky, unhelpful responses to real questions. This is not one of those times. just using common sense WHY would a firm have a CB stage if they were presumably going to give every candidate an offer? Complete waste of resources.
Also, a simple search would lead to the answer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:37 pm

As a screener for my firm’s satellite office I extended callbacks to a number of candidates. The decision to make an offer rests on the result of the callback interview (with the partners). Only 15% of the callbacks receive an offer. When all the offers are accepted is when we follow up with a letter to the remaining candidates so they can pursue other opportunities.

omegaomega

New

Post by omegaomega » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:58 pm

twenty 8 wrote:As a screener for my firm’s satellite office I extended callbacks to a number of candidates. The decision to make an offer rests on the result of the callback interview (with the partners). Only 15% of the callbacks receive an offer. When all the offers are accepted is when we follow up with a letter to the remaining candidates so they can pursue other opportunities.
I don't quite understand. When all the spots are filled, can the firm just rescind offers extended to those who have not accepted, since the offers are supposed to remain good for 28 days?

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:54 pm

When we make an offer the offer is good until the candidate declines or does not accept within the allotted time. I do not recall an offer ever being withdrawn by the firm. Anecdotally I have heard of candidates having accepted an offer and then they rescinded (supposedly because they received a better offer somewhere else).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:52 am

omegaomega wrote:
twenty 8 wrote:As a screener for my firm’s satellite office I extended callbacks to a number of candidates. The decision to make an offer rests on the result of the callback interview (with the partners). Only 15% of the callbacks receive an offer. When all the offers are accepted is when we follow up with a letter to the remaining candidates so they can pursue other opportunities.
I don't quite understand. When all the spots are filled, can the firm just rescind offers extended to those who have not accepted, since the offers are supposed to remain good for 28 days?
What you're not understanding is that the bolded part means "people who got CBs but not an offer" not "people who got an offer."

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:32 am

I had callbacks at two small firms last year, one was interviewing 12 people for 1 spot, and the other was interviewing 20 people for 4-5 spots. So yeah, definitely not 1 to 1.

twenty 8

Bronze

Post by twenty 8 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:55 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:00 am

My firm offered around 1/5 to 1/4 of their callbacks (NYC biglaw).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”