Should I follow up? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I follow up?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:04 pm

Firm in secondary market said usually get back to candidates within one week. Interview was wednesday, 11 days ago. If an offer is extended, I'm going to accept. My only back up plan right now is flying to NY, on my own dime, for a few screeners this week. Ideally, I would accept offer & cancel NY trip and save my money. If offer is extended on Mon or Tues, I can cancel NY trip.

What do you think about calling the secondary market firm to check in tomorrow? Should I tell them about NY trip?

Edit: NY trip is for screening interviews, not CBs
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Should I follow up?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:19 pm

You could reiterate to recruiting that you liked the firm and ask when you might expect to hear back... But you should absolutely fly to NY for CB's, because it's probably not 50-50 you get an offer (secondary markets generally have lower cb to offer ratios, and it's been 11 days). You're not out of the running but it'd be foolish to put all your eggs in one basket. Don't mention the NY thing to them. It's only hurt because they might think you're not sold on the city.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firm in secondary market said usually get back to candidates within one week. Interview was wednesday, 11 days ago. If an offer is extended, I'm going to accept. My only back up plan right now is flying to NY, on my own dime, for a few call backs this week. Ideally, I would accept offer & cancel NY trip and save my money. If offer is extended on Mon or Tues, I can cancel NY trip.

What do you think about calling the secondary market firm to check in tomorrow? Should I tell them about NY trip?
I would probably email, but call might be better. Regardless, contacting them tomorrow is perfectly fine IMO and what you should do.

Let them know you are still interested and that because you felt like the firm was such a fit, it is by far your number one choice. If you can work in NY later in the conversation in a non awkward way (unlikely) then if mention it, but only in a "I'm scheduled to go to Ny this week but I was really hoping to hear back from your firm first because it's my number one choice, etc" kind of way.

wwwcol

Bronze

Post by wwwcol » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:24 pm

Br3v wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Firm in secondary market said usually get back to candidates within one week. Interview was wednesday, 11 days ago. If an offer is extended, I'm going to accept. My only back up plan right now is flying to NY, on my own dime, for a few call backs this week. Ideally, I would accept offer & cancel NY trip and save my money. If offer is extended on Mon or Tues, I can cancel NY trip.

I would probably email, but call might be better. Regardless, contacting them tomorrow is perfectly fine IMO and what you should do.

Let them know you are still interested and that because you felt like the firm was such a fit, it is by far your number one choice. If you can work in NY later in the conversation in a non awkward way (unlikely) then if mention it, but only in a "I'm scheduled to go to Ny this week but I was really hoping to hear back from your firm first because it's my number one choice, etc" kind of way.
Mentioning to a secondary market firm that you're also interviewing in NYC seems like a terrible idea and a good way to expose yourself to a ding for "not seriously committed to our city", even if NYC is just a backup

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”