Ropes & Gray Boston Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ovaltine

New

Ropes & Gray Boston

Post by ovaltine » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Ropes & Gray's mothership (Boston) office? They're killing it with the Vault rankings (#1 training, #3 hours, #4 culture, #4 satisfaction etc.) - does this line up with people's experiences? Interested primarily in corporate.

Anonymous User

Re: Ropes & Gray Boston

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:14 pm

ovaltine wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Ropes & Gray's mothership (Boston) office? They're killing it with the Vault rankings (#1 training, #3 hours, #4 culture, #4 satisfaction etc.) - does this line up with people's experiences? Interested primarily in corporate.
Also interested.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ovaltine wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Ropes & Gray's mothership (Boston) office? They're killing it with the Vault rankings (#1 training, #3 hours, #4 culture, #4 satisfaction etc.) - does this line up with people's experiences? Interested primarily in corporate.
Also interested.
I am also interested in this (sitting on Ropes offer atm).

I really don't see how Vault can accurately rank training and culture. Isn't some of it based on people's perception who don't even work there, which becomes self-reinforcing? That being said, billable hours requirement at Ropes is 1900 as a first year associate, and it's widely considered the best firm in Boston. I could definitely see how you would feel less like a drone working at Ropes than one of the dozens of massive NYC firms. 10th most selective firm as well, which isn't surprising.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also interested.

I really don't see how Vault can accurately rank training and culture. Isn't some of it based on people's perception who don't even work there, which becomes self-reinforcing? That being said, billable hours requirement at Ropes is 1900 as a first year associate, and it's widely considered the best firm in Boston. I could definitely see how you would feel less like a drone working at Ropes than one of the dozens of massive NYC firms. 10th most selective firm as well, which isn't surprising.
Exactly, I'm deciding between R&G, Skadden, & Cooley (all Boston). I know there are trade-offs between the shops, but it's so hard to approximate what I'm gaining/giving up with any one choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also interested.

Exactly, I'm deciding between R&G, Skadden, & Cooley (all Boston). I know there are trade-offs between the shops, but it's so hard to approximate what I'm gaining/giving up with any one choice.
In the Boston market, Ropes & Gray is king, and it's not really even close (compared to the other two).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:In the Boston market, Ropes & Gray is king, and it's not really even close (compared to the other two).
I know of several folks who had Ropes offers on their tables and opted for other Boston firms, including one gent who chose Cooley.

That doesn't disprove that R&G is "king" of the Boston market. Just a mention that many top students don't prioritize "royalty" and choose firms that are better fits for them, culturally or by other factors.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:23 am

What exactly are you looking for here?

As far as top end corporate work, they're doing the most of it in Boston. They really dominate PE (along with Goodwin), and investment fund works (with a couple others...I think Dechert is really strong here in Boston?). They still have the reputation as the top corporate firm in Boston. I've heard working there can be really stuffy, but generally have heard good things about the work environment. As to the person saying there's a 1900 hour requirement, I know someone doing PE there, and 1900 is not going to put you in good graces. So don't buy into that.

As for Cooley, they're doing either the most or second most tech stuff in Boston right now. I've heard great things about the work environment, and if you want to do tech/VC stuff, Cooley is a great choice.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 am

Last edited by Single-Malt-Liquor on Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:28 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”