Baker & McKenzie (Chicago) v. Foley & Lardner (Detroit) v... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Detroit v. Chicago

Baker & McKenzie (Chicago)
46%
Foley & Lardner (Detroit)
31%
Bodman (Detroit)
No votes
Dickinson Wright (Detroit)
No votes
Honigman(Detroit)
19%
Dykema (Detroit)
4%

Total votes: 26

Anonymous User

Baker & McKenzie (Chicago) v. Foley & Lardner (Detroit) v...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Currently with offers in hand from Baker & McKenzie in Chicago, Foley & Lardner in Detroit and verbal offers from Bodman, Honigman and Dickinson Wright in their Detroit offices. I'm from the area and would think i'd like to be back in Detroit eventually but torn over the prospect of Baker in Chicago (also have a CB with Weil NYC, King & Spalding NYC, and a few others but may drop them). Are there any specific concerns about Baker or Foley I should know about? Stability, exodus of partners, money, etc?

I'd like to do M&A/Transactional and the international pull of Baker is very attractive. On the other hand, Foley does a large amount of transaction work with some international flare (nowhere close to Baker) but Foley pays a base well above market for Detroit (starting at $130-140k) whereas Baker pays at market. I get somewhat concerned being at Baker, as well as just being in Chicago, means a higher likelihood of turning into a Cog in the Machine - whereas in Detroit there is some more opportunity to actually be involved in companies, the community, etc.

What are the pros and cons of Baker, Foley, or the other Detroit firms if you know anything about them?

Anonymous User

Re: Baker & McKenzie (Chicago) v. Foley & Lardner (Detroit) v...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:24 pm

If you want to be in Detroit, Foley or Dickinson would be the places to go. I also wouldn't rule out Weil or K&S, especially if you want to do transactional work with the goal of getting back to motor city.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:07 pm

Foley Detroit has a rather small office. Not positive about their hiring rate for SAs, but I can't imagine they bring in many each year. Also, who knows how much of that international work the Detroit office is handling. Can't speak to the Chicago market, but in Detroit, Honigman is regarded as the top firm for corporate work. Honigman also has the reputation for the longest hours and most uptight/conservative working environment, but if you are looking at NY offices, long Detroit hours may not be an issue. The Dickinson v. Dykema distinction is pretty useless, but have heard both are great to work at. Bodman is a step below Dickinson/Dykema/Honigman, but you would get to work at Ford Field at least.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:32 pm

What about exit options? Going in house ideally.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about exit options? Going in house ideally.
Then you NY callbacks should be the most important

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Decided to turn down my NYC options as I would like to stay in the Midwest now, and in the near future. What of my options likely best preps me for an exit option if I want to take one, and/or a better shot at Partnership?

Any B&M summers/associates able to comment on the type of work you saw as a summer and as a 1st/2nd year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Decided to turn down my NYC options as I would like to stay in the Midwest now, and in the near future. What of my options likely best preps me for an exit option if I want to take one, and/or a better shot at Partnership?

Any B&M summers/associates able to comment on the type of work you saw as a summer and as a 1st/2nd year?
I have a buddy who worked at B&M. Wouldn't lie to ya, the work is boring , the hours are long and the work is tedious. However with that said, his exit opportunities were extremely good, especially going inhouse. Going to Foley or another smaller biglaw firm will give you more substantive work early on in your career, but there tends to be less guidance. At a bigger firm you learn more methodically by taking small steps at a time. At smaller biglaw firms you tend to get thrown into the fire more often. I would still go to the biglaw interviews in NYC. You might as well see what else is out there before making your decision. Look at the offer rates as well. I think the Detroit firms are mostly near or at 100%.

At Baker you will be exposed in terms of transactions to more than say Honigman or other Detroit firms. I would probably do Baker over any of the biglaw firms in Detroit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have a buddy who worked at B&M. Wouldn't lie to ya, the work is boring , the hours are long and the work is tedious. However with that said, his exit opportunities were extremely good, especially going inhouse. Going to Foley or another smaller biglaw firm will give you more substantive work, but there will be a lack of guidance. At a bigger firm you learn more methodically by taking small steps at a time. At smaller biglaw firms you tend to get thrown into the fire more often. I would still go to the biglaw interviews in NYC. You might as well see what else is out there before making your decision. Look at the offer rates as well. I think the Detroit firms are mostly near or at 100%.

At Baker you will be exposed in terms of transactions to more than say Honigman or other Detroit firms. I would probably do Baker over any of the biglaw firms in Detroit.
On the flip side. If you want to go either in-house in Detroit or make partner, Go work at the top Detroit firm. If you want to in-house anywhere else, Go to Baker.

Neal Patrick Harris

Bronze

Post by Neal Patrick Harris » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:46 pm

The worst city in the United States vs. Chicago.

Why is this a thread?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bodman is a step below Dickinson/Dykema/Honigman, but you would get to work at Ford Field at least.
Depends what you're comparing. Bodman doesn't lose associates or partners to other Detroit firms, but other Detroit firms lose associates and partners to Bodman. Why? I'm sure the reasons are often individual, but their baseline compensation for senior/equity partners is said to be higher than comparable firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”