longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
mandimeoutof10

Bronze
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by mandimeoutof10 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:10 pm

Man, this thread hits me in the feels. I had a CB with a small NY satellite in TX 2.5 weeks ago and I have had radio silence ever then. However, that day they told me that I would hear back by X date (an entire month after my CB). I was shocked. In other news, I just set up an unrelated interview in NY from mass mailing (it CAN happen after all).

Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:33 pm

OP here. Hearing these comments make me hopeful. I'm almost 100% I've been placed on the wait list of some kind because I know both rejections and acceptances have gone out from the same office / screener. For me, just silence.

User avatar
fourtyacslaw

New
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by fourtyacslaw » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:13 pm

What qualifies as a "secondary market"? I'm in TX and it doesn't seem that 3+ weeks is out of the norm to hear back CB-->offer. Only the firms with the largest summer classes appear to move in a matters of days.

anonymousanon

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by anonymousanon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:32 pm

So for people who haven't heard back after two weeks-- is it recommended to follow up with a recruiting coordinator or better to just wait it out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:39 pm

anonymousanon wrote:So for people who haven't heard back after two weeks-- is it recommended to follow up with a recruiting coordinator or better to just wait it out?
I'd follow up after two weeks. An anecdote: I hadn't heard from a large NY office, sent an email to recruiting reiterating my interest exactly two weeks after the CB, and received an offer two days after that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anonymousanon wrote:So for people who haven't heard back after two weeks-- is it recommended to follow up with a recruiting coordinator or better to just wait it out?
I'd follow up after two weeks. An anecdote: I hadn't heard from a large NY office, sent an email to recruiting reiterating my interest exactly two weeks after the CB, and received an offer two days after that.
What if I've already done that a week ago, after the 2 week mark... reiterate interest again or move on...

Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anonymousanon wrote:So for people who haven't heard back after two weeks-- is it recommended to follow up with a recruiting coordinator or better to just wait it out?
I'd follow up after two weeks. An anecdote: I hadn't heard from a large NY office, sent an email to recruiting reiterating my interest exactly two weeks after the CB, and received an offer two days after that.
What if I've already done that a week ago, after the 2 week mark... reiterate interest again or move on...
Unless you have an offer expiring, I would move on and continue looking. They haven't forgotten about you. If they've kept you in lingo this time then it's probable that they're waiting on people who already have offers, and are trying to size up other people being CB'd. It is still pretty early in the CB process. Some schools are operating much later. It's still a buyer's market for the firm so the "hurry up" tactic is likelier to hurt than it is to help. It helps if you have another offer that is expiring, because it suggests (1) another firm is willing to bet on you, and (2) that you like the firm you're waiting from more.

User avatar
PepperJack

Silver
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by PepperJack » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:56 pm

anonymousanon wrote:So for people who haven't heard back after two weeks-- is it recommended to follow up with a recruiting coordinator or better to just wait it out?
There's no blanket right answer. It's going to depend on the circumstances (have you already contacted them?), and the individual personalities of the people reading your e-mail. It's good to show interest, but bad to seem desperate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It helps if you have another offer that is expiring, because it suggests (1) another firm is willing to bet on you, and (2) that you like the firm you're waiting from more.
Would you recommend mentioning the expiring offer in the update email? Would it help to say I would definitely choose the firm over my pending offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


enibs

Bronze
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:28 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by enibs » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It helps if you have another offer that is expiring, because it suggests (1) another firm is willing to bet on you, and (2) that you like the firm you're waiting from more.
Would you recommend mentioning the expiring offer in the update email? Would it help to say I would definitely choose the firm over my pending offer?
Yes on first question - how are they going to know about it if you don't tell them? Don't make a big deal of it, just mention it informationally. On second question, let them know if they're your first choice (but only if you mean it), otherwise stay silent. They won't expect you to say anything about your preferences, and they'll assume that if you're telling them about an expiring offer, you prefer them to the other firm or you would just take the offer that's about to expire. But if you say expressly that you would prefer them to the firm with the expiring offer, and you don't say they're your first choice, it implies there are other firms you'd like even more.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Honestly don't know what's worse, sitting around waiting for another week (reaching 4 week mark) or just getting dinged, so I'm not pathetically hopefully...

Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly don't know what's worse, sitting around waiting for another week (reaching 4 week mark) or just getting dinged, so I'm not pathetically hopefully...
You're not alone. I'm hitting 4 week next week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 347431
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: longest time you've had to wait for an offer after CB?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Honestly don't know what's worse, sitting around waiting for another week (reaching 4 week mark) or just getting dinged, so I'm not pathetically hopefully...
You're not alone. I'm hitting 4 week next week.
Are you in a secondary market? Do you know if you're on a waitlist?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”