NALP Reimbursement Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NALP Reimbursement

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 am

Is it reasonable to order 2 beers ($9 each) if your flight is delayed 8 hours?

Anonymous User

Re: NALP Reimbursement

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it reasonable to order 2 beers ($9 each) if your flight is delayed 8 hours?
My career services office says do not request reimbursement for any alcohol expense, under any circumstances .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Is there a general limit as to how much any one meal should cost? Ate dinner at a pretty expensive restaurant near my hotel that someone with one of the firms I was interviewing with suggested (if I remember right), not realizing how high-end it was. Ordered some of the least expensive food on the menu, but still ended up being north of $70 after tip. I'm worried that they will think I just decided to hose them with an expensive meal on purpose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is there a general limit as to how much any one meal should cost? Ate dinner at a pretty expensive restaurant near my hotel that someone with one of the firms I was interviewing with suggested (if I remember right), not realizing how high-end it was. Ordered some of the least expensive food on the menu, but still ended up being north of $70 after tip. I'm worried that they will think I just decided to hose them with an expensive meal on purpose.
In NY? If not, that is pretty overboard. If yes, still pretty expensive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:13 pm

New anon, similar question.

I'm flying across the country to see a firm. Can I book direct (more expensive) flights both ways or should I try book something a bit cheaper that is not direct both ways?

Difference between my direct and non-direct flight plans are ~$160

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:New anon, similar question.

I'm flying across the country to see a firm. Can I book direct (more expensive) flights both ways or should I try book something a bit cheaper that is not direct both ways?

Difference between my direct and non-direct flight plans are ~$160
It is appropriate to book direct IMO. They understand how much of a time crunch this time is for us and I highly doubt they're sending their partners on layovers anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there a general limit as to how much any one meal should cost? Ate dinner at a pretty expensive restaurant near my hotel that someone with one of the firms I was interviewing with suggested (if I remember right), not realizing how high-end it was. Ordered some of the least expensive food on the menu, but still ended up being north of $70 after tip. I'm worried that they will think I just decided to hose them with an expensive meal on purpose.
Not NY, but one of DC, CHI, LA, Houston. Bill was only an entree and two sides, so no alcohol or anything.

Will it matter if I was seeing multiple firms that week and my other meals were cheaper?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not NY, but one of DC, CHI, LA, Houston. Bill was only an entree and two sides, so no alcohol or anything.

Will it matter if I was seeing multiple firms that week and my other meals were cheaper?
I don't think they'll ding you for it anyway, but you may as well have some cheaper meals to offset. That way I'm sure there'll be no problem

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:29 pm

Just submit reimbursement form after they make their decision. That way, you know it has no effect whatsoever (not that it will anyways most likely).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:30 pm

nsideirish wrote:Just submit reimbursement form after they make their decision. That way, you know it has no effect whatsoever (not that it will anyways most likely).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:02 pm

So, beer is never reimbursable? I mean, of course a CSO would say that - but would a law firm truly be averse to this?

I would assume that the average, reasonable man would be pissed off that his flight was delayed for 8 hours, and thus would drink beer

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, beer is never reimbursable? I mean, of course a CSO would say that - but would a law firm truly be averse to this?

I would assume that the average, reasonable man would be pissed off that his flight was delayed for 8 hours, and thus would drink beer
It's one of those "99 out of 100 firms wouldn't bat an eye, but why risk getting that 1" things, IMO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, beer is never reimbursable? I mean, of course a CSO would say that - but would a law firm truly be averse to this?

I wouldn't think they would care in most situations, given all the booze that is consumed at recruiting dinners/happy hours. But who knows.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”