Attn: those of you who secured a post-LS job during 3L... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

I got my job during:

Fall 3L (Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov)
32%
Winter 3L (Dec, Jan, Feb)
16%
Spring 3L (Mar, Apr, May)
18%
After Graduation (June, July, beyond...)
34%

Total votes: 62

AVBucks4239

Silver

Re: Attn: those of you who secured a post-LS job during 3L...

Post by AVBucks4239 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:The mass mail advice on here is complete bullshit and a waste of time. Instead, target firms that match your resume and really put yourself out there. You never know who you will run into or what will happen.
I think this is bad advice. It's obviously a numbers game but it's worth the effort if you are one of the lucky few to strike gold.

Stats: T60. Top 30%. LR. 2L through 3L clerkship with a firm that does the practice area of my new firm (no offered because of financial reasons)
Employer: BigLaw in my target market.
Applied: Around Feb.
Offered: End of March
Found the job: Mass mailing.
Advice: Until you have a job try different search techniques. I ultimately got it through a mass mail, however, I did targeted emails for firms that were a great fit, networked, and had lawyers at my previous firm put in calls. Checking symplicity, linkedin, indeed, etc is a must. Do everything you can think of until you have a job offer.

If you can, clerk with a firm in the area you want to practice. It will either lead to a job, build resume line, or they can help you find a job.
I mean, we're both speaking from anecdotal experience.

I was a little harsh on mass-mailing. My overall point would be this: don't just draft a "stock" letter/resume. Craft everything to that employer. Take the time to do it. It separates you from a lot of applicants.

And if you can really target a firm (see my above post), do it. It can't hurt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 am

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:The mass mail advice on here is complete bullshit and a waste of time. Instead, target firms that match your resume and really put yourself out there. You never know who you will run into or what will happen.
I think this is bad advice. It's obviously a numbers game but it's worth the effort if you are one of the lucky few to strike gold.

Stats: T60. Top 30%. LR. 2L through 3L clerkship with a firm that does the practice area of my new firm (no offered because of financial reasons)
Employer: BigLaw in my target market.
Applied: Around Feb.
Offered: End of March
Found the job: Mass mailing.
Advice: Until you have a job try different search techniques. I ultimately got it through a mass mail, however, I did targeted emails for firms that were a great fit, networked, and had lawyers at my previous firm put in calls. Checking symplicity, linkedin, indeed, etc is a must. Do everything you can think of until you have a job offer.

If you can, clerk with a firm in the area you want to practice. It will either lead to a job, build resume line, or they can help you find a job.
I mean, we're both speaking from anecdotal experience.

I was a little harsh on mass-mailing. My overall point would be this: don't just draft a "stock" letter/resume. Craft everything to that employer. Take the time to do it. It separates you from a lot of applicants.

And if you can really target a firm (see my above post), do it. It can't hurt.
OP def agree. Also, if you are going to mass mail, I would suggest don't just have one blanket resume/cover letter. I had four different resumes I used that would broadly tailor to a firm (ie, emailing real estate group so I would play up my real estate experience, same with corporate, litigation, and bankruptcy).

I think targeting is really the best bet - but even if you are a great fit there might not be an opening. You need luck to be on your side (ie, spread your luck out if possible).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:15 am

Stats: UT/Vandy/UCLA, top 40%
Employer: Prosecutor's office in my target market
Applied: March 2015 (almost a year after graduation)
Offered: End of March 2015
Found the job: Job posting website, networking
Advice: I think I could've found a job closer to passing the bar, but I knew exactly what I wanted to do. That meant I had to wait. In the mean time, I worked at a prosecutor's office for free and got tons of experience. When jobs actually became available in the spring, I got a lot of interviews because I was miles ahead of the other 2014 grads. If you can get relevant experience while you are waiting, DO IT. It was a super long wait, but totally worth it to get essentially my dream job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:00 am

Stats: T40 Bottom 50%
Employer: Land brokerage firm/self
Applied: Aug 2013
Offered: Aug 2013, 3 days later
Found the job: Symplicity
Advice: Investigate job posting boards. I got lucky (which is sometimes what it takes) checking Symplicity and taking a flyer on an oil and gas brokerage firm posting. I'm still riding it out. Best job I've ever had. Pay is similar to midlaw, work probably 30 hours a week.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”