Help! Texas Houston Big 3 v. NYC v5 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

???

NYC v5
60%
Texas Big 3
40%

Total votes: 15

Anonymous User

Help! Texas Houston Big 3 v. NYC v5

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Yes, again.

v5 = DPW, Simpson, Cleary

Interested in transactional work. Not particularly interested in energy law. Low debt (less than 40k after graduation). More interested in exit opportunities than living in a big apartment. No ties to either city.

If you're in a similar situation, please share your thoughts with me.

Anonymous User

Re: Help! Texas Houston Big 3 v. NYC v5

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, again.

Interested in transactional work. Not particularly interested in energy law. Low debt (less than 40k after graduation). More interested in exit opportunities than living in a big apartment. No ties to either city.

It sounds like you have already made up your mind. Which city do you like better?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Choose based on city. Some may argue, but I think exit ops will probably be more diverse from NYC firms (both geographically and in terms of type ). Culture should be a big factor. The Houston firms have very different cultures than the NYC firms. Since you don't have family in TX and have low debt, I think I would take the NY firms. Congrats

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:59 pm

Choose based on city.

If you actually can't pick between Texas and NYC, you're irredeemably boring and I don't know how you've made it this far in life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 pm

thesealocust wrote:Choose based on city.

If you actually can't pick between Texas and NYC, you're irredeemably boring and I don't know how you've made it this far in life.
Nice jump.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Also in a similar situation. Go to STB NY. If you hate NY after your first year or two, lateral to STB Houston.

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:10 pm

It really comes down to city preference. You can do NYC biglaw and move back (I did), but NYC is not for everyone (it was not for me). Houston is awesome. I did not realize that until I moved back as an adult. You can find opportunity in both cities.

PM me if you have any questions about the Houston big 3. I am very familiar with all of them and can offer a relatively unbiased view.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, again.

All of this screams NYC

mw115

New

Post by mw115 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 am

also a Houstonian who greatly enjoys it and i used to work at one of the big 3. Definitely very different cultures from the big NYC firms. If you don't particularly like energy law i wouldn't suggest Houston for transactional work - although if Dallas there is a more diverse client base. Also, in as much as the big 3 is a thing, Fulbright is not exceptionally well known for its transactional work - its a 2 horse race between V&E and BB.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:28 am

I would go to new york, but that's me - if you don't have any particular affection for texas than id go to new york in your shoes too. It will be easier to lateral out of the big market firm later as another poster alluded to

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”