Following up with super slow FedGov Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Following up with super slow FedGov

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 pm

Had a second round interview with a FedGov agency in April, was told I would find out in June or July whether I got the position. I just graduated with no jerb so I'm a bit antsy. I followed up once in June and once in July. No response.

1. Is all hope lost?

2. More importantly, should I follow up again or just leave it?

abogadesq

Silver

Re: Following up with super slow FedGov

Post by abogadesq » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:34 pm

The fed attorney I clerked for waited 6 months after he applied for his position for the feds to get back to him. In the meantime, since you have no job, I wouldn't sit idly by for the feds to call you back; continue looking for something else.

To which agency did you apply?

Anonymous User

Re: Following up with super slow FedGov

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:18 pm

You should absolutely follow up. Was it the kind of thing where the attorney gave you a verbal offer and said that HR would call you and send you a formal offer? If so, email that attorney ASAP so he/she can prssure HR into hurrying up. In government (and out of government haha) there's often a huge disconnect between what HR is doing and what the people hiring you want. If he didn't give you a verbal offer but just mentioned that you got the job or something, then follow up with him regardless. Be polite, but you have every right to know what's going on.

EDIT: Sorry, completely misread the OP. In that case you should definitely follow up, but odds aren't good. While it's not impossible that you are still under consideration, you should be looking elsewhere. You have nothing at all to lose by following up though.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”