template for offer rejection? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

template for offer rejection?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:34 pm

anyone out there have a nice template i could use to deny my offer via email? not sure how apologetic i should be, or if i should be more personal... hope someone has something so i can send the email asap.

baal hadad

Gold

Re: template for offer rejection?

Post by baal hadad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Is this an anonybrag or do you really not know how to send a polite email

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 pm

baal hadad wrote:Is this an anonybrag or do you really not know how to send a polite email
rude. i just wanted to know if i should be more personal in the email, in terms of whether or not I should list some reasons for why I chose differently; i care about professionalism and having good relations with others. clearly some folks can't hide jealousy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:04 pm

You want a template to help you be personal? You realize the irony there, right? I don't understand how so many dumb smart people get offers.

Cogburn87

Bronze

Post by Cogburn87 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Autism is a hell of a disorder

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:06 pm

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Lol. The fact that someone can get an offer at multiple law firms yet does not know how to be a nice/normal human blows my mind. Pick up the phone and call recruiting and thank them for the opportunity and tell then you are pursuing another opportunity. Not hard...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm sending an email for most of mine because I can get really awkward on the phone since I really did have a hard time deciding and I want to remain as professional as possible.

Thank you for the offer blah blah.. unfortunately I have decided to accept another offer/an offer with firm X... This was a really hard decision because you guys are awesome. [insert optional anecdote to make it more personal, i.e. really enjoyed X about your firm, really enjoyed talking to X attorney and/or X partner, etc. you get the idea]. Thanks again.

Basically take on eof your firm rejection letters and then flip it around haha

You can even tie in an explanation for choosing a diff firm if you feel inclined to give one, so long as it's properly stated. such as family in a different city, etc

Edit: the only ones i'm making super personal are the ones i've been in contact with a bunch, who I recently interviewed with, who I truly felt bad turning down, etc. While the one that didn't contact me for 3 weeks not gonna be as personal but mainly by virtue of the fact that I don't remember much about them since it had been so long and I'd basically written them off.

Pikappraider

Gold

Post by Pikappraider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sending an email for most of mine because I can get really awkward on the phone since I really did have a hard time deciding and I want to remain as professional as possible.

Thank you for the offer blah blah.. unfortunately I have decided to accept another offer/an offer with firm X... This was a really hard decision because you guys are awesome. [insert optional anecdote to make it more personal, i.e. really enjoyed X about your firm, really enjoyed talking to X attorney and/or X partner, etc. you get the idea]. Thanks again.

Basically take on eof your firm rejection letters and then flip it around haha

You can even tie in an explanation for choosing a diff firm if you feel inclined to give one, so long as it's properly stated. such as family in a different city, etc

Edit: the only ones i'm making super personal are the ones i've been in contact with a bunch, who I recently interviewed with, who I truly felt bad turning down, etc. While the one that didn't contact me for 3 weeks not gonna be as personal but mainly by virtue of the fact that I don't remember much about them since it had been so long and I'd basically written them off.
I still think a phone call is much more appropriate. Who cares if you feel weird about it... These firms have spent a lot of resources interviewing/ flying u in, the least you can do is be polite and make a 1 minute phone call

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 pm

"Dear [Recruiting Contact],

I greatly enjoyed meeting with your attorneys and thought very highly of X firm. After careful consideration, I have decided to accept an offer at another firm. I greatly appreciate X firm's time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Your Name"

Sending the email to recruiting avoids the awkwardness of saying no to someone you had a good interview with. They don't need to know why you made your decision. If they ask what firm you've accepted, tell them. Otherwise, shouldn't matter. They are professionals and will be checking your name off of a list and won't think about it again, so you shouldn't either. Congrats on the offer.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:26 pm

Dear [FIRM]:

I greatly enjoyed speaking with you at [SCHOOL]'s OCI and at your office in [CITY]. I have met with many impressive firms, but unfortunately, I am limited in the number of offer invitations I can accept. Therefore, it is with regret that I am unable to accept your offer at this time.

I appreciate your interest in [YOUR NAME] and wish you the very best for your legal recruitment career.

Sincerely,

[YOUR NAME]

philly33

New

Post by philly33 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Call. They're used to it. It's not awkward for them at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 pm

TheThriller wrote:Dear [FIRM]:

I greatly enjoyed speaking with you at [SCHOOL]'s OCI and at your office in [CITY]. I have met with many impressive firms, but unfortunately, I am limited in the number of offer invitations I can accept. Therefore, it is with regret that I am unable to accept your offer at this time.

I appreciate your interest in [YOUR NAME] and wish you the very best for your legal recruitment career.

Sincerely,

[YOUR NAME]
this is perfect thank you

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:25 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlowBro

Bronze

Post by FlowBro » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 pm

baal hadad wrote:Is this an anonybrag or do you really not know how to send a polite email
And the biggest douche bag award of 2014 goes to........ball hadad! Congrats, you truly earned this award!

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 pm

For a 100 person summer class, a big law firm will probably hand out upwards of 250 offers. Believe me, they're used to you saying no.

Just call it in and don't be a gigantic loser who has to hide behind a robo email.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”