Chicago - Kirkland v. Sidley? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Chicago - Kirkland v. Sidley?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How often do people turn down Kirkland for Sidley? And under what circumstances would that decision be credited?
Fit / culture / dislike of K&E's "eat what you kill" system, to name a few.

Sidley is a close second for Chicago's best firm so it's not like you're really dropping much in Prestige

Do you even know what "eat what you kill" means in terms of associate life? Almost nothing. I don't even know if that's how K&E works, but you guys are doing a really great job parroting back irrelevant buzzwords. Go to a firm because it has good work, you think the people are smart, and it positions you for whatever else you want to do in the future. These are not careers you're picking -- it's just the next 3-10 years for 95% of you.

Bad advice, this. This poster had never had the pleasure of getting caught in a partner turf war at a EWYK firm, but I can only assure you that it is like being an associate at any other firm but infinitely more unpleasant. Given the baseline level of pleasantness of being an associate, that is really saying something.

Obviously, if you can ally yourself quickly with a powerful patron, life in a EWYK isn't so bad, but I prefer my professional life not to carry the pungent stench of life in the DPRK or pre-revolutionary France.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:09 am

Do you even know what "eat what you kill" means in terms of associate life?
I worked at an "Eat What You Kill" firm. It definitely impacts associate life. You're an idiot for suggesting otherwise.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:42 pm

I'm trying to make this choice right now on the transactional side. Seems to me like the most notable difference in type of work is that Sidley does more public company and Kirkland does more private equity work. I'm sure this is oversimplified and that they both do the other kind of work as well. But I'm wondering what the difference are between the two in terms of day to day work or potential exit options.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How often do people turn down Kirkland for Sidley? And under what circumstances would that decision be credited?
Fit / culture / dislike of K&E's "eat what you kill" system, to name a few.

Sidley is a close second for Chicago's best firm so it's not like you're really dropping much in Prestige

Do you even know what "eat what you kill" means in terms of associate life? Almost nothing. I don't even know if that's how K&E works, but you guys are doing a really great job parroting back irrelevant buzzwords. Go to a firm because it has good work, you think the people are smart, and it positions you for whatever else you want to do in the future. These are not careers you're picking -- it's just the next 3-10 years for 95% of you.
The bolded is definitely not true. I work at one of these "eat what you kill" firms and associates definitely feel the impact.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to make this choice right now on the transactional side. Seems to me like the most notable difference in type of work is that Sidley does more public company and Kirkland does more private equity work. I'm sure this is oversimplified and that they both do the other kind of work as well. But I'm wondering what the difference are between the two in terms of day to day work or potential exit options.
Thoughts anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”