Choosing an offer within the V10 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Re: Choosing an offer within the V10

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:35 pm

bjsesq wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
bjsesq wrote:I mean, we've met. And I know plenty about your antics.
I challenge you to actually get to know me in real life and then level the same criticism you're making.

Not that you couldn't end up hating my guts, but I urge you to do that before basically stating:

"I met you as a person. I've read your internet posts. Therefore, I know you."
Maybe
lmao y'all are going to fuck

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
zweitbester wrote:
I challenge you to actually get to know me in real life and then level the same criticism you're making.

Not that you couldn't end up hating my guts, but I urge you to do that before basically stating:

Maybe
lmao y'all are going to fuck
Shut it. Plan is nearing completion.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:37 pm

bjsesq wrote:
zweitbester wrote:

Maybe
That's all? Seriously? I'll PM you right now. We can gchat. After like three months if fondling each others' souls, I welcome you to post a thread in the lounge titled "Zweitbester is a piece of shit" if you still legitimately think that way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Different poster here. I'm leaning towards taking Skadden over Simpson Thacher and Davis Polk (all NY) SOLELY based on fit. I'm interested in M&A/Corporate. I assume there are basically no differences when it comes to the work, exit options, etc?
Why would there be any difference? All three are top firms just with different clients, which will probably decide your exit options. If you're concerned about prestige, Davis Polk and Simpson are probably a bit more prestigious in NY since they're smaller, white shoe firms and harder to get offers from, but it really doesn't matter. Skadden's probably the most well-known big firm out there.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 pm

zweitbester wrote:
baal hadad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I am curious about some of the Latham hostility - they're on my list and they seem pretty chill. I can see why the top dogs are going to have more prestige (for whatever that matters) than L&W, but why would DPW, STB, Cleary, or others in the mid-range be necessarily better?
The plus side to Latham is now that Bob dell is leaving your risk of getting Bob dell'd had significantly lessened
Latham was Bob Dell'ing before Bob Dell became Bob Dell. This isn't a leadership thing. It's a firm thing.
I was neither being serious nor attempting to impart info in any way

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 pm

zweitbester wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
zweitbester wrote:

Maybe
That's all? Seriously? I'll PM you right now. We can gchat. After like three months if fondling each others' souls, I welcome you to post a thread in the lounge titled "Zweitbester is a piece of shit" if you still legitimately think that way.
I kinda got bored with the fight. Do we wanna keep going?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:40 pm

I kinda got bored with the fight. Do we wanna keep going?
Not really. I have to go to work. But let me buy you a beer or something.

Morgan12Oak

Bronze

Post by Morgan12Oak » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:44 pm

ITT: TLS meets OKC

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am curious about some of the Latham hostility - they're on my list and they seem pretty chill. I can see why the top dogs are going to have more prestige (for whatever that matters) than L&W, but why would DPW, STB, Cleary, or others in the mid-range be necessarily better?
None really - replace K&E and its the same thing. I just was comparing a lower V10 to some of the higher ones. DPW/STB/Cleary are better because some junior/midlevel associate at some other law firm is putting a 9 next to DPW/STB/Cleary's prestige and a 7 or an 8 next to L&W/K&E. Some day that junior/midlevel associate will move in house and one day be hiring an attorney for an inhouse position. Who is he going to pick? If you can fuck a 9 why would you settle for a 7?
Lots of silliness in this thread...but this is absolutely ridiculous. Who's he going to pick? The better candidate.

Differences in exit options are neglible at this level. People are going to get hired based upon skills, fit, connections. I guarantee no in-house person has EVER said, "well, I like these two candidates about the same, but this one worked at DPW and this one worked at K&E, so let's take the DPW person."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:01 pm

itbdvorm wrote:
Morgan12Oak wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am curious about some of the Latham hostility - they're on my list and they seem pretty chill. I can see why the top dogs are going to have more prestige (for whatever that matters) than L&W, but why would DPW, STB, Cleary, or others in the mid-range be necessarily better?
None really - replace K&E and its the same thing. I just was comparing a lower V10 to some of the higher ones. DPW/STB/Cleary are better because some junior/midlevel associate at some other law firm is putting a 9 next to DPW/STB/Cleary's prestige and a 7 or an 8 next to L&W/K&E. Some day that junior/midlevel associate will move in house and one day be hiring an attorney for an inhouse position. Who is he going to pick? If you can fuck a 9 why would you settle for a 7?
Lots of silliness in this thread...but this is absolutely ridiculous. Who's he going to pick? The better candidate.

Differences in exit options are neglible at this level. People are going to get hired based upon skills, fit, connections. I guarantee no in-house person has EVER said, "well, I like these two candidates about the same, but this one worked at DPW and this one worked at K&E, so let's take the DPW person."
Boom. This. OP's last post here (but by all accounts, don't stop flaming each other just because I'm gone).

Big takeaways I got from this:

1. Vault's rankings matter more for corporate than litigation. Makes sense given what I know about places like Williams & Connolly and Quinn.

2. Prestige alone is pretty much negligible unless we're talking Wachtell vs. Latham level of difference. Kind of what I hoped, because I'm leaning towards the lower end of the V10 as opposed to the middle-ish.

Thanks folks!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 pm

holy shit I love this thread

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”