Group Callback? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Group Callback?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 am

So I just got the itinerary for a weekend CB I got invited to go to in a couple weeks. The e-mail made it sound like there are going to be a bunch of us there.

I was kind of expecting it to just be me? I feel like it throws a wrench into my "be a normal, likable dude" strategy if I'm going to have to be vying with gunners for face time with the attorneys at dinner/lunch/whatever.

Anyone been on one of these group CB's? What's the deal?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Group Callback?

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I just got the itinerary for a weekend CB I got invited to go to in a couple weeks. The e-mail made it sound like there are going to be a bunch of us there.

I was kind of expecting it to just be me? I feel like it throws a wrench into my "be a normal, likable dude" strategy if I'm going to have to be vying with gunners for face time with the attorneys at dinner/lunch/whatever.

Anyone been on one of these group CB's? What's the deal?
Hard to say without knowing the specifics but your actual interviews will almost certainly be one on one.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:07 am

Interviews will be one on one. Depending on the way the firm operates, remember that there could be offers for everyone so don't worry about the other people there being direct competition.

filibuster

Bronze

Post by filibuster » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:13 am

I have one of these coming up as well. The firm may be evaluating how you interact with the other law students. Be normal and don't act like an asshole. Your interviews will 100% be one-on-one.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:52 am

filibuster wrote:I have one of these coming up as well. The firm may be evaluating how you interact with the other law students. Be normal and don't act like an asshole. Your interviews will 100% be one-on-one.
Or will they?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:26 pm

filibuster wrote:I have one of these coming up as well. The firm may be evaluating how you interact with the other law students. Be normal and don't act like an asshole. Your interviews will 100% be one-on-one.

This. They want to see what you are like around those you are competing against, but may also be your future colleagues.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:26 pm

I did a CB that involved a group dinner and individual interviews the next day (lunch was with 2 attys and 2 candidates).

The dinner will be a bit of a jockey fest but still be normal. You'll eventually sit at tables and get to chat with the people near you. Try to speak to lots of people (not just one) and while not being rude, remember you aren't there to impress the other summers. Don't compare dicks with them, and don't be dicks to them. You should chat, but don't seek them out, or speak with them to the exclusion of lonely looking attorneys. Spread yourself around, but don't be that fucking guy shoving your hand in someones face while another candidate is telling a story.

You'll have plenty of alone time during the interviews and lunch that you shouldn't risk coming off like a try-hard dick in the group setting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:57 pm

Kilpatrick Townsend had at least one group interview last year at Atlanta. Close to ten candidates were grouped to attend a nice dinner at a managing partner's house, chat with many attorneys from different practice groups, and socialize with other students as well. That was a well-organized event with good food and interesting conversations.

Then on the second day morning, we had a group breakfast together at the firm wherein the hiring partner explained to us the culture and practice of the firm. He even plainly told us that every interviewer would focus on one aspect on our resumes and try to find out our true color thereon.

For the actual interviews, I met nice people and had genuine talks with them. A few days later I received my SA offer. However, due to personal reasons I had to reject their offer and went to another firm.

The group event was part of the interview process. Just be yourself; be professional.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:43 pm

My firm does the group callback where a large group of candidates meet before their one-on-one interviews and then a lunch with 1-2 attorneys. Then the candidates, along with other attorneys from the firm, are hosted at an attorney's house for dinner and drinks.

They place a huge emphasis on how you interact in these settings, for whatever reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Did the CB.

There were like 25 people.

Firm is hiring 3, maybe 4 SA's.

God damn it.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did the CB.

There were like 25 people.

Firm is hiring 3, maybe 4 SA's.

God damn it.
The odds aren't nearly as bad as you'd think. It's pretty common to Call back 8, offer 4, and only have one person accept.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”