Lavender Law 2014 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lavender Law 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:01 am

If you meet the requirements, GO TO THIS CAREER FAIR. I did a million career fairs like SEMJF...my callback ratio from Lavender blew the other fairs away. I was tempted to not go last year because it was in San Francisco and I'm on the East Coast...but it was worth it! I summered at a firm from Lavender Law and now I have accepted an offer for after graduation.

My advice to everyone...your eyes to working for big firms outside of the traditional big coastal cities. There will be less competition for people open to working in Tennessee, Texas etc. at an LGBT fair. And those are the places that especially need diversity.

I hope my anecdotal support will tip the scales for anyone on the fence. I know Lavender law comes late and I know I felt almost "screenered" out by the time the fair came around. I thought, why go? I've done a million so far. Going was the best decision ever I've ever made.

Anonymous User

Re: Lavender Law 2014

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:05 am

100% agree with the above. Lavender Law is the gold standard by which other diversity career fairs are judged. I personally had my desired offer when I went to LavLaw a few years ago (received the day before we flew out!), but of the friends I went with, four of the six ended up at firms they interviewed with at LavLaw and not on campus. Most law schools will also pay for you to go. 100% worth your effort.

Plus, it's in NYC this year. Who doesn't want to visit NYC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:14 am

Is it too late to sign up? Their website seems to suggest not. But, how does it actually work? Is it all preselect or lottery? Either way, is that process over yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:46 am

I also have that question...

But additionally, you speak very well of it. Is it great enough that it's worth skipping a few days of OCI for? I would have to miss out on interviews with six firms in order to attend the full 21st-23rd. Then again, those firms are also attending Lavender law.

Edit: 2/6 of those interviews are the 22nd. It looks like the career fair is only on the 21st. Would it be weird to be at the fair on the 21st for the Career fair and go back for OCI on the 22nd?

Edit 2: And now that I look at them, I'm not super excited about the four firms on the 21st, anyway, but absolutely want to interview with the ones on the 22nd... and even though they're not my top choices... it's still four firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too late to sign up? Their website seems to suggest not. But, how does it actually work? Is it all preselect or lottery? Either way, is that process over yet?
They don't do preselect or lottery. Instead, it's a table talk system, where all the firms show up and have a table. You bring your resume, sit down and talk for however long it seems comfortable (it will almost always be with an attorney, not a recruiter), and sell yourself. There will be so many tables you won't have time for them all. Last year I'd say there were 100 firms, with a few PI offices thrown in. At 10 minutes a table, over the course of a day, you can fit in a lot of screeners.

I'll echo everyone above who encouraged going to Lavender Law. I got screeners and CBs out of it, and I know a good handful of people who did also (who otherwise would have struck out at OCI). It's worth it to go.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I also have that question...

But additionally, you speak very well of it. Is it great enough that it's worth skipping a few days of OCI for? I would have to miss out on interviews with six firms in order to attend the full 21st-23rd. Then again, those firms are also attending Lavender law.

Edit: 2/6 of those interviews are the 22nd. It looks like the career fair is only on the 21st. Would it be weird to be at the fair on the 21st for the Career fair and go back for OCI on the 22nd?

Edit 2: And now that I look at them, I'm not super excited about the four firms on the 21st, anyway, but absolutely want to interview with the ones on the 22nd... and even though they're not my top choices... it's still four firms.
The only day you need to be there for is the career fair. All the other stuff doesn't matter - it's all CLE stuff for attorneys and networking opportunities, and while interesting, is not related to OCI. Your focus should be getting a job, so absolutely go back to OCI on the 22nd. Also, there are thousands of people there, so no one will notice or even care if you're there for 1 day or 1 hour.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 pm

Would any of you guys with past experience with LavLaw mind PMing me?

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would any of you guys with past experience with LavLaw mind PMing me?
... Me that is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:52 pm

Is this only for LGBT?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is this only for LGBT?
You don't have to "prove" your status, but the presumption is that attendees self-identify as LGBT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:02 pm

A few weeks ago there was some asshole here saying that it isn't, that it's merely a career fair held by the LGBT bar and not that it's only for LGBT. Also, because no one will outright ask you about your sexuality, and you should do everything you can to find a job. I don't work for the LGBT bar, but as an LGBT student I was incredibly offended by this position. The entire conference is dedicated to networking within the LGBT community, recognizing LGBT achievements, and attending LGBT-related seminars and lectures. To say that the career fair is open to everyone, and is merely organized by the LGBT bar, belittles what the conference is about. Besides that, all the firms send LGBT attorneys to the career fair, so they may be able to figure out whether a student is LGBT or not without directly asking (I say, may, but not necessarily, of course, as there are no characteristics that all LGBT possess or anything). In that sense, if an attorney feels like someone is faking it, there's a chance that person won't get a CB anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A few weeks ago there was some asshole here saying that it isn't, that it's merely a career fair held by the LGBT bar and not that it's only for LGBT. Also, because no one will outright ask you about your sexuality, and you should do everything you can to find a job. I don't work for the LGBT bar, but as an LGBT student I was incredibly offended by this position. The entire conference is dedicated to networking within the LGBT community, recognizing LGBT achievements, and attending LGBT-related seminars and lectures. To say that the career fair is open to everyone, and is merely organized by the LGBT bar, belittles what the conference is about. Besides that, all the firms send LGBT attorneys to the career fair, so they may be able to figure out whether a student is LGBT or not without directly asking (I say, may, but not necessarily, of course, as there are no characteristics that all LGBT possess or anything). In that sense, if an attorney feels like someone is faking it, there's a chance that person won't get a CB anyway.
completely agree with above

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:15 pm

I have one question - should I dress as conservatively as people do for normal OCI? or is it okay to wear something that shows a little more about myself for Lavlaw job fair (e.g. ties that I actually like, slim fit suit that I actually wear for non-OCI occasions, etc).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have one question - should I dress as conservatively as people do for normal OCI? or is it okay to wear something that shows a little more about myself for Lavlaw job fair (e.g. ties that I actually like, slim fit suit that I actually wear for non-OCI occasions, etc).
I would still dress conservatively. The attorneys are there to recruit for a conservative profession, the people they call back still have to meet and be approved by others at the firm. Just dress conservatively, and show your personality in conversation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
how would they find out that they are faking it?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
how would they find out that they are faking it?
I think it's more accurate to say that an attorney might "feel" like the purportedly LGBT person is not genuine. They might ask if the student is involved in OUTlaw, how they are involved in their local LGBT community, or other similar questions to see how their diversity would fit into the image that the firm is trying to convey. As I said, not being part of the community is not necessarily indicative that a person is not LGBT, as there are no characteristics that all LGBT persons possess, but OCI is all about figuring out someone's personality and bullshit factor. A person who is not LGBT and who goes into an LGBT-focused career fair could look disingenuous, in which case a CB is unlikely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 pm

The firms just have people from random offices show up? You just say which office you're interested in? How does that work exactly?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The firms just have people from random offices show up? You just say which office you're interested in? How does that work exactly?
I found that they typically had attorneys from their bigger offices. Maybe only one office will be represented too. Those people can tell you more obviously of what it is like to work in that specific office but they were looking for other offices as well. Some firms brought their HR person. I would say though that most are looking for candidates in their home office or one second biggest office.

So, in the course of the screener I would say "what offices are you guys from? Oh, well I'm interested in your office or X office."

tianziwansui

New

Post by tianziwansui » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have one question - should I dress as conservatively as people do for normal OCI? or is it okay to wear something that shows a little more about myself for Lavlaw job fair (e.g. ties that I actually like, slim fit suit that I actually wear for non-OCI occasions, etc).
My advice is to wear what you want to wear as long as its business appropriate. 95% of the attorneys attending are gay men. Yes, the stereotypes are true. I've never seen so many stylish attorneys in one room. The attorneys, especially the younger associates, and even the candidates were dressed more "trendy" than what you would normally see at a career fair/oci. Just don't get carried away.

A slim fit suit is fine. I'd say a large majority were wearing slim fit suits v. your boxy old men suits. I wore a navy slim fit suit with a orange/gray shiny plaid tie...stuff, I don't wear to normal interviews. Worked great for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:26 pm

tianziwansui wrote:
My advice is to wear what you want to wear as long as its business appropriate. 95% of the attorneys attending are gay men. Yes, the stereotypes are true. I've never seen so many stylish attorneys in one room. The attorneys, especially the younger associates, and even the candidates were dressed more "trendy" than what you would normally see at a career fair/oci. Just don't get carried away.

A slim fit suit is fine. I'd say a large majority were wearing slim fit suits v. your boxy old men suits. I wore a navy slim fit suit with a orange/gray shiny plaid tie...stuff, I don't wear to normal interviews. Worked great for me.
Thanks for this info. I'm a really slim build but I've been wearing this Brooks Brothers charcoal suit (which is not slim at all no matter what BB says) with BB wide navy tie which I loathe, in place of this stunning slim/borderline skinny suit I LOVE to wear. And yes, I know that we are really in fact more stylish (most of the time) so I was hoping I could wear what I actually wanted to wear, because, after all, isn't that what Lavlaw event is all about? To actually be who we really are?

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
tianziwansui wrote:

Thanks for this info. I'm a really slim build but I've been wearing this Brooks Brothers charcoal suit (which is not slim at all no matter what BB says) with BB wide navy tie which I loathe, in place of this stunning slim/borderline skinny suit I LOVE to wear. And yes, I know that we are really in fact more stylish (most of the time) so I was hoping I could wear what I actually wanted to wear, because, after all, isn't that what Lavlaw event is all about? To actually be who we really are?
No one is going to judge you for wearing a slim-fit suit. In fact, you should probably toss the boxy BB suit right now, even for normal interviews. Not that it will hurt you most of the time, but a small number of people will think you have no idea how to dress yourself, and no one is going to commend you for wearing the styles of the 1950s or criticize you for wearing a suit that fits. "Conservative" is a relative term. Don't wear narrow ties (medium is ideal; wide ties are okay but no advantage) and stick with charcoal or navy suits, red or blue ties and blue or white shirts, but do wear suits (and shirts!) that fit well. If you're slim, wear a slim-fit suit to all of your interviews. (Skinny might be pushing it outside of LavLaw, though--I'd have to see what it looks like on you.) I think this goes doubly for Lavender Law because us gay attorneys are often the pickiest ones about these sorts of things, but it's really true for all interviews. (Personally, I wouldn't consciously care, but I know that unconsciously I would probably prefer the better-dressed person.)

I do think at Lavender Law you could dress with a bit more flair, though of course don't get carried away. There will be a lot of attorneys there in pink shirts, or wearing purple ties, and you're more likely to be commended than criticized for doing the same. I disagree strongly with the idea that the attorneys at Lavender Law will prefer people who dress very conservatively.

Don't take it too seriously, though. If you're not into being fashionable, it's also not a big deal.

On non-LGBT attendees: Everyone will assume everyone else there is LGBT, and the career fair is really intended for LGBT law students, though certainly for example activist allies, non-LGBT children of same-sex couples or others similarly connected to the community would also be intended beneficiaries. It would be possible to attend as a non-LGBT law student with no close connection to the community, and you could probably make it through the interview process without being questioned, but I personally would strongly recommend against hiring such a person if I found out during the interview process, as you would be effectively falsely presenting yourself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:30 am

What documents should you have copies of other than resume and transcript? Writing sample? Anything else?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Anyone from a non-t14 not in nyc with no-top10% grade got offers or cbs from Lavender Law? Still thinking about whether I should buy the flight and hotel to go...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone from a non-t14 not in nyc with no-top10% grade got offers or cbs from Lavender Law? Still thinking about whether I should buy the flight and hotel to go...
I went to a TT, was only top 25% at the time, no journal, lots of specialty-adjacent work experience. I got 10 callbacks in 2012 from Philly to DC to Atlanta to SF including two offers. Totally worth it in my opinion. No need to get a hotel, necessarily. Just buy a morning redeye and an evening redeye if feasible. The conference hotel will hold a day bag (probably) for a small fee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Is it possible to get CBs at firms that already dinged you during your school's OCI?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”