NY v. ATL Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY v. ATL

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:52 pm

I have strong ties to both markets and have callbacks with a few V10 NY firms. Do y'all think the prestige/training/compensation at top NY firms outweighs the benefits of the ATL firms (namely QOL) if I want to end up in ATL? I'm having difficulty comparing NY firms like SulCrom or DPW with Atlanta firms like King & Spalding or Bondurant. FWIW, I'm interested in litigation and plan to clerk.

sideroxylon

Gold

Re: NY v. ATL

Post by sideroxylon » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have strong ties to both markets and have callbacks with a few V10 NY firms. Do y'all think the prestige/training/compensation at top NY firms outweighs the benefits of the ATL firms (namely QOL) if I want to end up in ATL? I'm having difficulty comparing NY firms like SulCrom or DPW with Atlanta firms like King & Spalding or Bondurant. FWIW, I'm interested in litigation and plan to clerk.
ishygddt

Anonymous User

Re: NY v. ATL

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have strong ties to both markets and have callbacks with a few V10 NY firms. Do y'all think the prestige/training/compensation at top NY firms outweighs the benefits of the ATL firms (namely QOL) if I want to end up in ATL? I'm having difficulty comparing NY firms like SulCrom or DPW with Atlanta firms like King & Spalding or Bondurant. FWIW, I'm interested in litigation and plan to clerk.
Do you have Atl offers? If no, I would caution against counting eggs before hatch. A few of my friends also had multiple V10 offers in NYC and/or top DC firms from a T6, ties to Ga, good grades, and still got shut out of Atl or failed to land top firms. k&S in particular has a tiny class size which makes it that much harder to get. For my part, I have mailed both NYC and ATL - multiple pre-OCI V20 CBs, not even a screener in Atl yet. Perhaps that's because Atl moves slower, or perhaps because its just a tough market.

Litigation is pretty broad. You name k&s and BME to compare them against NYC, but the two of them do vastly different work. If you want to do plaintiff-side stuff, then BME would be a good choice. Also the answer to your question depends on your long-term goals - partner? In-house? Gov't?

As for training, I have no basis for comparison. Prestige: if you want to land in Atl, k&s (or A&B, probably) is clearly going to be more preftigious than any NYC lit firm. Compensation: adjusting for COL, clearly Atl wins at least initially. However, Atl lockstep scale (if you can even call it that, as a lot of firms apparently have their own increments for senior associates) does not grow very quickly- think 5th years are around 175 for the Atl firms that are on the 135 lockstep scale.

The above doesnt really point one way or the othrr, but IMO theres a lot to be said for starting at the top of the market that you intend to stay in. Having k&s or a&b on your résumé even for two or three years will open a lot of legal doors in Atl, from everything I hear from friends.

Eta final thought: you don't sound like you know a lot about what type of work these firms do and that you're just chasing prestige. You should really do your homework on what types of lit they do as that should clarify your decision-making process.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”