Looking for Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MarkWest

New

Looking for Advice

Post by MarkWest » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Hello Everyone -

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has first-hand knowledge of anyone who has been in a similar situation to mine. I just finished a summer associateship with a well respected large (for the region) mid-west firm. I was the only SA in the office. I was not, however, in the home office. At my exit I was told a few things.

First, the managing partner told me that my work was excellent. Apparently there had not been a single negative comment the entire summer. This was, the HR person told me, the first time that had happened in his 20-year experience of working with summer associates. Second, that I fit in well with the firm. Everyone enjoyed my personality and I fit great with the culture of the firm. Third, and you probably saw this coming, that they could not provide an offer at this time. He also stated that they would be meeting in the next thirty days to discuss their staffing levels; notably, I had heard at one partner grumble throughout the summer about there not being enough work for associates at this time. He explained that if there is any chance they can support an additional associate he believes that the quality of my work and the impression I made will tip me into receiving an offer.

I completely understand their position--ultimately, law is a business and a firm needs revenue to pay salaries. I asked if I could use the firm as a reference in the meantime and the managing partner said absolutely. He asked that if I receive an offer from somewhere I call him so that they can consider making a counter.

So, here is what I have: a no offer with a strange possibility of receiving an offer. Here's my basic stats: top 10% at a T2, law review executive board, moot court member who has won competitions, and I had an internship with a state supreme court Justice.

What I'd like to know is where, and how, I go from here. How does one approach a large firm their 3L year? What's the timing for that search; now or the spring? And any other tips you might have picked up through your own experiences or the experiences of someone you know. If I get an interview I'm not really that concerned about explaining why I didn't get an offer (yet); I can tell the truth and I'll have multiple attorneys at the firm who will recommend me and back me up. I suppose, however, if you think it's not that simple then I'd love advice about that, too.

Thank you in advance!

TooOld4This

Silver

Re: Looking for Advice

Post by TooOld4This » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:09 pm

MarkWest wrote:Hello Everyone -

I'm looking for some advice from anyone who has first-hand knowledge of anyone who has been in a similar situation to mine. I just finished a summer associateship with a well respected large (for the region) mid-west firm. I was the only SA in the office. I was not, however, in the home office. At my exit I was told a few things.

First, the managing partner told me that my work was excellent. Apparently there had not been a single negative comment the entire summer. This was, the HR person told me, the first time that had happened in his 20-year experience of working with summer associates. Second, that I fit in well with the firm. Everyone enjoyed my personality and I fit great with the culture of the firm. Third, and you probably saw this coming, that they could not provide an offer at this time. He also stated that they would be meeting in the next thirty days to discuss their staffing levels; notably, I had heard at one partner grumble throughout the summer about there not being enough work for associates at this time. He explained that if there is any chance they can support an additional associate he believes that the quality of my work and the impression I made will tip me into receiving an offer.

I completely understand their position--ultimately, law is a business and a firm needs revenue to pay salaries. I asked if I could use the firm as a reference in the meantime and the managing partner said absolutely. He asked that if I receive an offer from somewhere I call him so that they can consider making a counter.

So, here is what I have: a no offer with a strange possibility of receiving an offer. Here's my basic stats: top 10% at a T2, law review executive board, moot court member who has won competitions, and I had an internship with a state supreme court Justice.

What I'd like to know is where, and how, I go from here. How does one approach a large firm their 3L year? What's the timing for that search; now or the spring? And any other tips you might have picked up through your own experiences or the experiences of someone you know. If I get an interview I'm not really that concerned about explaining why I didn't get an offer (yet); I can tell the truth and I'll have multiple attorneys at the firm who will recommend me and back me up. I suppose, however, if you think it's not that simple then I'd love advice about that, too.

Thank you in advance!
Mass mail now. Set up meetings with alumni and anyone else you have a conncetion with ASAP. There really isn't a season for hiring for someone in your situation. There are multiple small bursts that you should not try to time. Get your first wave out now. Make networking your job. Follow up with firms again in spring. Add in government and in-house in the spring also. Consider yourself on a perpetual job search until you land something. Good luck.

ggocat

Gold

Re: Looking for Advice

Post by ggocat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Also, district/magistrate clerkships and state appellate courts, assuming they're still hiring.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”