Reneging on 3L Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on 3L Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:31 am

What the tcr when it comes to reneging on an offer received during 3L OCI? If I participate in 3L OCI and get an offer, but then decide I want to back out for something else (won't go into details because I don't want to out myself) in winter (I won't know if I got the job in question until then) is this considered improper?

Danger Zone

Platinum

Re: Reneging on 3L Offer

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 am

You can't renege on an offer, only the acceptance of an offer. So if you accept and then back out, yeah that reflects poorly. But otherwise, you're fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:37 am

Danger Zone wrote:You can't renege on an offer, only the acceptance of an offer. So if you accept and then back out, yeah that reflects poorly. But otherwise, you're fine.

This is OP. Sorry, wasn't clear. I'm talking about accepting because I won't find out about other thing until January.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:38 am

Depending on the firm and circumstances, you may piss people off and burn bridges. But sometimes that's unavoidable.

ResIpsa21

Bronze

Post by ResIpsa21 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 pm

See this thread for differing points of view -- http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=233658.

My personal answer is that, as long as you are open and honest with everyone about what you are doing, you should be absolutely fine. This means making sure that the new employer is aware you've accepted an offer elsewhere. It certainly will not bother the new employer to know they're stealing you away from a biglaw firm, but you should be honest about it upfront. A handful of recruiting personnel, and maybe the hiring partner, could be slightly upset about you reneging. They will immediately forget your name and find another 3L or hit the lateral market. No harm done. Just remember that the firm would drop you like a bad habit the second it benefits them to do so. Don't feel bad about dropping them first.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”