Important NALP provision Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goldeneye

Silver

Important NALP provision

Post by goldeneye » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:24 pm

This mainly changes for 2Ls but heads up to make sure you reaffirm any offers you receive if you're still interviewing other places.
Employers offering positions for the following summer to candidates not previously employed bythem should leave those offers open for at least 28 days following the date of the offer letter oruntil December 30, whichever comes first. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within 14 daysfrom the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the14-day period. Offers made after December 15 for the following summer should remain open forat least two weeks after the date of the offer letter.

Candidates may request that an employer extend the deadline to accept the employer’s offer untilas late as April 1 if the candidate is actively pursuing positions with public interest or governmentorganizations. Candidates may hold open only one offer in such circumstances. Employers areencouraged to grant such requests.

Employers offering positions for the following summer to candidates previously employed bythem should leave those offers open until at least October 1, provided that such offersare made prior to or on September 2. Candidates should reaffirm these offers within thirty daysfrom the date of the offer letter. Employers may retract any offer that is not reaffirmed within the30 day period. After September 2, employers offering positions for the following summer tocandidates previously employed by them should leave those offers open for at least 28 daysfollowing the date of the offer letter.

Employers offering candidates positions for the following summer and having a total of 40attorneys or fewer in all offices are exempted from Paragraphs 1-3 of this Section. Instead, offersmade on or before December 15 should remain open for at least three weeks following the date ofthe offer letter or until December 30, whichever comes first, and offers made after December 15should remain open for at least two weeks.

Yardbird

Silver

Re: Important NALP provision

Post by Yardbird » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:55 pm

To add to this, I don't see it anywhere in the NALP documents but my CSO has told us that if you are given a 2L SA offer from a firm you haven't summered at before on-campus recruiting starts, the offer should give you 28 days to decide from the start of on-campus recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:42 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:To add to this, I don't see it anywhere in the NALP documents but my CSO has told us that if you are given a 2L SA offer from a firm you haven't summered at before on-campus recruiting starts, the offer should give you 28 days to decide from the start of on-campus recruiting.
Would you have to reaffirm two weeks after the first day of OCI then?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:To add to this, I don't see it anywhere in the NALP documents but my CSO has told us that if you are given a 2L SA offer from a firm you haven't summered at before on-campus recruiting starts, the offer should give you 28 days to decide from the start of on-campus recruiting.
Would you have to reaffirm two weeks after the first day of OCI then?
I believe reaffirmation has to always be within 14 days of the day the offer was extended. The only difference is if the offer came pre-OCI, the offer has to be held open for more than 28 days (28 days after OCI plus all the days after the offer is extended before OCI). Again, I can't stress enough that my CSO office told us about this but it is nowhere in NALP. Check with your own CSO before mentioning it to a firm that extended a pre-OCI officer.

gnuwheels

Bronze

Post by gnuwheels » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:28 am

Sorry, I'm really confused. Which of these provisions applies to full-time offers (i.e. post 2L SA), and what is this about reaffirmation? I had literally never heard that if your firm gives you a full time offer you're required to "reaffirm" in a certain amount of time. The quoted provisions say 30 days but you all are saying 14??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:50 am

Instead of November 1, you now have until Oct 1 to accept.

And I believe you have to reaffirm 2L offers within 14 days.

gnuwheels

Bronze

Post by gnuwheels » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 am

goldeneye wrote:Instead of November 1, you now have until Oct 1 to accept.

Doesn't the 14 days reaffirmation period only apply to "candidates not previously employed" by employers offering positions?

So if I had a 2L SA, was given an offer on X date, shouldn't I have X+30 days?

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 am

gnuwheels wrote:
goldeneye wrote:Instead of November 1, you now have until Oct 1 to accept.

Doesn't the 14 days reaffirmation period only apply to "candidates not previously employed" by employers offering positions?

So if I had a 2L SA, was given an offer on X date, shouldn't I have X+30 days?
Yeah you have 30 days to affirm it sounds like

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”