Weird 1L SA Situation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Weird 1L SA Situation

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:53 pm

I am a 1L SA from a lower t-14 in a large secondary market ie. ATL, MIA, HOU etc. It is a 150-200 person firm that is big and well respected in one state. The firm I am at has a weird policy in that they do not extend offers to SAs until December or January. I have gotten nothing but excellent feedback and have been told by my supervisor that he has been getting great feedback from everyone I have worked under. I also have had multiple people make it sound like I have a verbal offer in that they are asking me what plans are for next summer, how interested I am in returning, how they want to work with me in the future, that they really liked me etc. etc. I tried to get recruiting to just give me the damn offer already in a meeting with the recruiting partner but they told me to just keep up what I am doing and to keep them updated on my status throughout OCI and that they will know more about full time availability in December/January.

So my questions are:

1. What do I tell other firms? I do not want to come off as if I got no offered but I also cannot represent that I have one until I have one in hand.

2. Is it bad taste for me to tell the firm I am at where I am interviewing and to update them when I (hopefully) get call backs to hurry them along? I really like this firm and although they are slightly below my region's market, I would take them over all but maybe 5-10 places I applied because the partner track is very clear here and I think I would have a good shot at being a big fish in a little (not really that small but comparatively) pond. They seem to follow the 7-8 years and you make partner model unless someone truly sucks.

3. I hate prestige whores and this may sound totally dickish, but they generally do not get people from t-14 schools. It is mainly people from the top of the class at regional schools. I am 99% sure that my school's reputation is the reason I got a 1L SA with them as they usually never hire 1Ls and my grades were barely above median. Is there a way I can somehow leverage this and throw around some names of some Vault firms I am interviewing with, while stressing how much I like their firm and how I would more than likely return, to maybe speed them up in making an offer? I mean they did ask me to keep them updated on OCI/my interviews and callbacks. I feel like that is a pretty douche move but I really want to try to lock something down before OCI, would be a huge weight off my shoulders to be playing with house money.

Diamond

Re: Weird 1L SA Situatio

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:57 pm

Tell other firms the truth, that you won't find out til December.

Then go get other offers and if you still would rather do this firm, then go back with the other offers and ask for a commitment. If they still can't, tell them you'd love to come back for a victory lap (2-4 week SA after your other one).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”