2 interviews tomorrow, doc review and law clerk in CA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2 interviews tomorrow, doc review and law clerk in CA

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 pm

Just became licensed in CA to work. Bottom 10 percent of class from a tier 1 school and no substantial work experience. Just 1L and 2L summer gigs. Had to retake Bar Exam. I understand these are some red flags. No debt at all either and not paying rent, so I can afford to stay at home and keep looking for jobs than take a shitlaw job. Although I don't mind experienced shitlaw for a bit.

Because of these red flags, I was told not to be picky. However, I have 2 interviews tomorrow and could use some advice.

1. One is doing doc review for about 35/hour and 40 hour weeks with opportunity for overtime. It's a temp job and it finishes when the project finishes. I have no idea what doc review is, but i hear it is hated and avoided at all costs. I hear there is no upward mobility, but I guess it is better than sitting at home?
Any general tips for the interview?

2. Another job is a law clerk at a medium sized firm in major market that specializes in a kind of law I am not familiar with at all. I don't like the title "law clerk" because I feel thats associated with law students. I was wondering why they were so eager to interview me because I was licensed and not still in school. Hopefully they let me on as an associate? Should I ask about this? Also, they have asked repeatedly about my expected salary. I want to say 30/hour, but that might seem a bit high. I am assuming anywhere from 15-20 an hour. Should I just say whatever the market rate is?

If you got both offers, which would you choose?

El Pollito

Diamond

Re: 2 interviews tomorrow, doc review and law clerk in CA

Post by El Pollito » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:26 pm

Don't do doc review unless you're okay doing doc review for life.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”