Suspended for a year, do I even have a shot at OCIs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ResIpsa21

Bronze

Re: Suspended for a year, do I even have a shot at OCIs?

Post by ResIpsa21 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:40 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:Is it worth the extra two years of tuition to find out?
Honestly, probably not. But if OP is looking for some solace, that's the best he's going to do.
And what the rest of us are saying is, this isn't solace. It's false hope and reinforces the wrong path when this person needs the courage and moral support to make the tougher, but ultimately much better, decision.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Throwaway123 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:I agree that the correct answer is to drop out, but I'm curious—what kind of plagiarism is so minor that it results in a one year suspension with nothing on your record, as opposed to an expulsion. The punishment just isn't something I've heard of before. Maybe the school wants to have their cake and eat it too? (i.e., punish you for plagiarism but collect your full tuition money) (another reason to drop out)
It was a very minor nongraded assignment. It was a sentence verbatim the same from another students.

Anyway, appreciate your honesty. I am obviously seriously considering dropping out.
WTF? This really makes no sense and I feel like this can't be the whole story. First, why did you copy one "sentence" from someone on a NON-GRADED assignment? Second, why the fuck would your professor opt to destroy your entire future legal career by throwing the book at you for ONE copied sentence on a non-graded assignment?

This seems grossly disproportionate, it doesn't add up.

Also, drop out. You were fucked before you got the scarlet letter due to your grades/school.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Probably not a serious C and F issue if you disclose but drop out because your school is seriously fucking you over why would you want to put anymore money in their pocket.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 pm

A mediocre GPA from a mediocre school with C&F issues is a recipe for unemployment. Find a field other than law to get a job in.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:I'll play devil's advocate. Why does everyone seem to think OP's conduct rises to an automatic, ipso facto C&F fail? Depending on the state, C&F can be lenient even towards academic dishonesty provided OP is completely honest about what he did and proves he's rehabilitated himself. If what OP says is true, there's a big difference between copying an answer on a minor assignment and plagiarizing entire chunks of a term paper. Anyway, do a quick google on C&F denial cases. Here are some things people have been admitted with on their records:

- Falsifying their law school transcripts
- Lying to their law school about being expelled from grad school
- Committing multiple honor code violations and lying to the C&F board about it
- Plagiarism and felony theft conviction in undergrad, lying about it to both law school and C&F (the board voted to admit, state supreme court overturned)

Nothing OP did rises to that level - once again, assuming he is telling the truth. Will his C&F experience be pleasant? Absolutely not. He'll probably have to go before the board in some manner, hire an attorney for thousands of dollars, and lose sleep every night wondering if he'll be admitted. But people have been licensed with worse on their records. If everyone who ever plagiarized was denied admission, C&F denial rates would be much higher than the 0.5% they are right now.
Honestly, you have to be a pretty big fuck head to not be admitted solely because of C&F. When I was studying for the IL bar, I was talking to this attorney. He told me that he went to John Marshall and did real estate for 10 years until the real estate market tanked. At some point near when he took the IL bar exam (can't remember whether it was before or after), he got a arrested for a DUI. After being released on bond, he proceeded to steal his car back from the impound lot, and managed to hit the person (cop?) running it on the way out. He got charged with a pretty serious hit and run. The C&F board called him in for questioning, but apparently it was the end of the day on Friday, so they decided to admit him without asking any questions lol. Now he knows he's too incompetent to actually practice law, so he goes around chasing ambulances and refers every single person that calls him to other attorneys for a referral fee (pretty sure that's an ethical violation on its own haha). Point being, OP probably would be admitted to numerous state bars. It would just be an uphill battle and no guarantee. But OP will probably never find any legal employment, so it's kind of a waste of money to continue paying for law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:Probably not a serious C and F issue if you disclose but drop out because your school is seriously fucking you over why would you want to put anymore money in their pocket.
This. Suspending you over a single sentence on an UNGRADED assignment is ridiculous.

JoanSloan

New

Post by JoanSloan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:07 am

I think "up hill struggle" might be an understatement.

I'll just leave this here for you, OP. Seems borderline relevant.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 am

Throwaway123 wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:I agree that the correct answer is to drop out, but I'm curious—what kind of plagiarism is so minor that it results in a one year suspension with nothing on your record, as opposed to an expulsion. The punishment just isn't something I've heard of before. Maybe the school wants to have their cake and eat it too? (i.e., punish you for plagiarism but collect your full tuition money) (another reason to drop out)
It was a very minor nongraded assignment. It was a sentence verbatim the same from another students.

Anyway, appreciate your honesty. I am obviously seriously considering dropping out.
There is something you're very clearly not telling us. As described no school would invite your resignation from school (which is what they have done). Should you elect to continue with law school, take note that this is 100% the wrong way to approach your bar app.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:24 am

BVest wrote:
Throwaway123 wrote: It was a very minor nongraded assignment. It was a sentence verbatim the same from another students.

There is something you're very clearly not telling us.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:48 pm

BVest wrote:
Throwaway123 wrote:

There is something you're very clearly not telling us. As described no school would invite your resignation from school (which is what they have done).
You'd be surprised how TTTs operate. Pretty sure the TTT I attended my 1L year would slam a student for what OP did (see my last post about the absurd missing quotation marks reprimand). As a practical matter, they know that OP is mostly likely going to continue to pay them tuition for another two years, despite the fact that he really should drop out (almost no one willfully drops out of law school). It's basically free money for the school and one less person of competition for the other students with respect to finding a job. And OP will never successfully be able to persuade another person that he shouldn't go to his law school, because everyone will assume that OP didn't get a job because of the plagiarism issue (despite the fact that he might not have gotten a job even without that issue). It's really an all around win for the law school to keep OP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”